Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
127 Doctors are Online

Back injury, severe pain, hurts to turn, bend, lean forward. Suggestions?

Hello. I was just wondering if you could give me some advice. A month ago I slipped and fell down my steps and I landed on my back on a step. It hurt extremely bad, but shortly after, the pain went away so I thought I was fine. But as the days passed, my back started hurting more and more. Now, it hurts to turn around to look behind me, pick up things, lean forward and it really hurts when I lay down and try to get back up. I know I should have probably went to the hospital. I just figured the pain would disappear. Unfortunately, the pain hasn t gone away. Any suggestions?
Asked On : Sun, 23 Dec 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  103
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics
General & Family Physician 's  Response
Dec 2012
Hello Stephanie,
Thank you for your post. You are probably having a vertebral column injury or spinal cord injury or just post traumatic pain ( due to pressure on your back muscles and subsequent inflammation).
Spinal cord injury is most unlikely because if you have, you should have started developing nervous deficits on your upper or lower extremities depending on level of the lesion on your spinal cord. Cord compression due to vertebral column displacement is another possibility but as i said developing neurological deficits would have been showing as symptoms except of course the injury is very very mild and also pain will not be the most likely symptom. Vertebral column injury will simply be a small fractured bone of a vertebrae or displacement/dislocation which would present as a pain of progressive intensity as you continue daily activity. The other option is you are having back muscles contusion that should disappear with use of analgesics like as acetaminophen or Tramadol or anti-inflammatory like diclofenac or ibuprofen either orally or local pomade with massaging.
In either case, you will probably need to visit a radiologist to run a CT scan or X-ray of the vertebral column to rule out any serious abnormally.

Hope this helps
Answered: Sun, 23 Dec 2012
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor