Suggest treatment for cerebral palsy

Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar

Pulmonologist

Posted on Mon, 20 Nov 2017 in Sleep Disorders
Question: hi, I have a mild case of cerebral palsy, high cognitive functioning and full functioning of my legs. The only outward sign of the cp is I walk with a slight limp on my left. I have noticed sometimes in stressful situations ie before a presentation at work my legs get extremely tight. I was looking into ways I could reduce spasticity and came across oral medication and botox. I am apprehensive to take medication like baclofen because I don't want to become dependent on pills. I have also read that botox is used only in cases of extreme spasticity. Also is baclofen commonly associated with addiction?
Answered by Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 27 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes, beclofen is habit forming drug.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your question on Healthcare Magic.
I can understand your concern.
Beclofen is commonly used for spasticity related to cerebral palsy, multiple sclerosis, spinal cord injury etc.
So you can take beclofen to relieve spasticity.
But on long term use (more than 2 months), it can cause habit formation and when you try to stop it, this will cause withdrawal symptoms (hallucinations, delusions, confusion, agitation etc)
So better not to take beclofen for prolonged period.
Hope I have solved your query. I will be happy to help you further. Wish you good health. Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 22 hours later
Hi, thanks for an informative answer. I'm just curious about baclofen, do people take it for long periods of time. I am confused by what kind of effect the drug can have if you only take it for 2 months.
Answered by Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 57 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No, Baclofen is given for short periods only.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your follow up question on HealthcareMagic.
I can understand your concern.

It is mostly used for hiccups for 1-2 weeks only.

If you take Baclofen for short periods (less than 1-2 months), it may cause following side effects.
Dizziness, sedation, nausea, vomiting, gastritis, hyporeflexia etc. These side effects are not seen in all individuals.

Hope I have solved your query.

You can ask me directly on bit.ly/askdrkaushalbhavsar.

Wish you good health.
Thanks.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee