Are Clindamycin and Clarithromycin the same type of antibiotics?

I have a sinus infection. I went to my doctor and he prescribed Clindamycin, I came home and took the medication but found I was allergic to it. I went to the ER because my doctor is now on vacation they prescribed Clarithromycin, Is this the same type of antibiotic? I am now scared to take anything that might be the one I was allergic too.
Tue, 9 Feb 2016
Dentist 's  Response
Hi..
Welcome to HEALTHCARE MAGIC..

I have gone through your query and can understand your concerns..

As per your complain Clindamycin is a Lincosamide group of antibiotic while Clarithromycin belong to Macrolide group of antibiotics..
Therefore both belongs to different chemical groups and it is not necessary that if you are allergic to one group then you will also be allergic to another group of antibiotics..
In case if you are still doubtful you can consult an Allergist and discuss your problem and he can advise you allergic tests like Prick test, Patch test etc to rule out which antibiotics are safe for you and treat you accordingly..
As of now along with medication you can also do steam inhalations, saline nasal irrigations and also take decongestant nasal spray to relieve from sinusitis..
Once the safer antibiotics are detected you can take them without any fear and concern and get the problem resolved..

Hope this information helps..

Thanks and regards.
Dr.Honey Nandwani Arora.