Can Retin-A for treating facial acne cause any harm?
Regarding use of tretinoin on face
Hello. Thank you.
I am Dr kakkar (Dermatologist and Venereologist). I have noted your concern and I have viewed the image.
Retin A and other similar products contain Tretinoin as the ingredient.
Tretinoin is comedolytic and is useful in all grades of acne although in inflammatory acne (papules and pustules) tretinoin alone may not be very effective and may have to be combined with oral and/or topical antibiotics. Tretinoin is also an antiageing molecule and is effective in delaying and reversing fine lines and wrinkles so it can be used long term for these indications.
However, tretinoin being an irritant may cause dryness, skin peeling and redness as side effects. These side effects are usually noticed early on in therapy and reduce or abate as the skin gets used to tretinoin. To reduce these side effects tretinoin should be used sparingly and may be used either on alternate days or used with or over a non-comedogenic moisturizer. So yes, you can even mix it (dilute) with a little moisturizer. In addition to tretinoin at night you may also use clindamycin 1% gel during the day for your inflammatory acne. Ideally I would also suggest adding an oral antibiotic e.g doxycycline for your inflammatory acne.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Suggest treatment for thinning of skin
- Is boil inside nose folliculitis a cause for concern?
- What casues allergic skin rash?
- How to diagnose herepes type 2?
- What causes white pimples in vagina?
- Suggest treatment for headache, acne and weight gain
- Suggest treatment for dandruff and red spot on scalp
- What causes non itchy eruption on penis?
- Suggest treatment for itching acne on hand
- Suggest treatment for itching sensation all over body