Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
126 Doctors are Online

80 years old, renal failure. History of diabetes, hypertension. Treatment other than kidney dialysis?

My father is 80 yrs old, he has end stage renal failure and is reccomended for dialysis in the near future. Are there any medicines or treatments he can take to stall the progression of the disease or improve the health of the kidneys? Because of his heart condition he may not be able to tolerate dialysis. He is a diabetic and has mild hypertension .
Asked On : Fri, 22 Jun 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  298
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics
Nephrologist 's  Response
if diaysis is recommended then the kidney actualy is not able to support the life of the person. dialysis should be done such situation. whether your patient is suitable for hemodialysis because of cardiac condition can only be judged after detailed evaluation. but if not suitable you can go for peritoneal dialysis. in any case there is no way to avoid dialysis once it is clinically indicated.
Answered: Tue, 17 Jul 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor