What does my lab test report indicate?

Posted on Tue, 31 Oct 2017 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: My husband had a pre-op ECG (hasn’t had one in years) which was read as abnormal. Here’s the text of the reading:

Sinus rhythm, normal P axis, V-rate 50-99. Left anterior fascicular block, axis (240, -40), init forces inf, no previous tracing available for comparison.”

His only cardiac related issue is mild hypertension controlled with lisinopril for last 3 years, pre-op BP was 135/85. He still had surgery yesterday (laminectomy L3-4, L4-5) and is doing well, having minimal pain only at incisional site. Not taking opioids either pre-or-post op, only Naproxyn and Gabapentin. Non-smoker. Slightly overweight, recommended to lose 20#.

Emailed his PMD but he’s out of town until next week. No one at hospital mentioned the ECG. I’ve read that LAFB used to be considered “benign” but may now indicate a higher risk of cardiac death.

No family history of cardiac disease, mom lived until age 95 and was in excellent health...she golfed until she broke her hip last year and, as she said, “Had all her marbles.” Father died at age 77 of Parkinson’s disease.
Answered by Dr. Bhanu Partap 37 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Nothing to worry

Detailed Answer:
Hello Ma'am

After going through the medical details provided by you I understand your concern for your husbands wellbeing and I would like to tell you that first of all never rely on the interpretation that comes out printed on the Ecg paper as most of the times its not accurate.

Secondly even if we assume that there is a left anterior fass block, there is nothing to worry for as these are benign and usually won't cause any harm. In your husbands case it could probably be due to hypertension.

They can be of a significance if there is a bifassicular block means left posterior bundle is also blocked.

So don't worry and just relax. I hope this information will relieve your worries.

Kind regards
Dr Bhanu partap
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Dr. Bhanu Partap

Cardiologist