• question-icon

What causes rashes on thighs after taking Advil and Amoxicillin?

Posted on Mon, 21 Aug 2017 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: last saturday my dentist prescribed 500 mg of amoxicillin, one very 12 hours in anticipation of a root canal on monday. The root canal dr. then prescribed seven days of 500 mg one every 8 hours. I take one 5 mg dose of lisinopril once per day for mild hypertension. I have been having headaches and have taken advil. today I broke out in rashes on my inner thigh and chest. I'm into my 10 day of amoxicillin. With the rash I am thinking about stopping the advil and amoxicillin.
Answered by Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 27 minutes later
Brief Answer:
you'd better stop both...

Detailed Answer:

it sounds like an allergic reaction to either advil or amoxicillin. Both may cause such a reaction. In such cases stopping any possible offender is the rule. If you have a history of allergy in the past then it may help me to know if any allergen has been identified or not. If - for example - you had an allergic reaction to penicillin then amoxicillin is the most likely cause. If you had an allergic reaction to a NSAID then advil would be the most likely cause.

So in conclusion, you'd better stop both and contact your doctor for assessment. If it's an allergy indeed then an antihistamine will help.

I hope you find my comments helpful!
Kind regards!
Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis