Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
140 Doctors are Online

35 years old suffering from portal vein thrombosis. What is the possible treatment ?

I am 35 years old and suffering from thrombosis in portal vein. is there any immediate remedy from this problem.
Asked On : Wed, 29 Jun 2011
Answers:  1 Views:  846
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics
Gastroenterologist 's  Response
Portal vein thrombosis may occur in childhood, when a person develops portal cavernoma (bypass vessels around thrombosed veins) as seen on usg abdomen and presentation is either incidental, with splenomegaly which may be asymptomatic or present with anemia and low platelet count (thrombocytopenia). Another presenation is with vomiting of blood.
Portal vein thrombosis may occur in adult if they have cirrhosis, chronic pancreatitis or liver cancer.
Treatment depends upon manifestation. Endoscopic banding of dilated esophageal veins (varices) is usually Required. If anemia or thrombocytopenia is symptomatic (fatigue, exaustion, or bleeding gums, spots on skin), then splenectomy is indicated.
Patient should be vaccinated against hepatitis B and other vaccines if splenectomy is planned.

Dr Vaibhav Banait
MD (Medicine), DNB (Medicine), DM (Gastro-Enterology)
Consultant Gastro-Enterologist and Hepatologist
Therapeutic Endoscopist
PH: +919860643436

Answered: Wed, 29 Jun 2011
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor