What causes swelling in the lower leg while on Bupropion and HRT?

Dr. Ilir Sharka

Cardiologist

Posted on Thu, 10 May 2018 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Question: Hi, I’m 59 and was taking Estradiol and spironolactone for about 8 months. 5 weeks ago I was diagnosed with a clot in my lower leg. The doctors advised me to stop taking the HT. Now I feel so depressed that I’m reverting to male, weight, hair ...etc. does the clot mean I have to stop forever taking HRT? I was also on bupropion - for depression... but stopped taking them a few weeks ago.
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 40 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I would recommend as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Welcome and thank you for asking on HCM!

I understand your concern and would explain that the way you feel is not only related to the interruption of HRT, but also to bupropion interruption.

Coming to this point, I would recommend starting again Bupropion, in order to improve the way you feel.

Regarding HRT, you should know that it leads to an increased risk for blood clotting.

So, considering the fact that you already had a deep vein thrombosis, you would be at increased risk of blood clotting in case you start again HRT.

So it is up to you to decide whether to take this risk.

Hope you will find this answer helpful!

Kind regards,

Dr.Iliri

Follow up: Dr. Ilir Sharka 8 minutes later
Thank you for that.

Could I not lower the risks of DVT/clotting by continuing to take blood thinners at the same time as HRT.? Or aspirin ? ... I realize it might only be lowering the risk but I can’t go back to being male.
I also realize you can’t give definitive answers - but even if it is only statistically a lower risk then I could chose to take the risk and monitor my health as I continue transition.

Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 13 minutes later
Brief Answer:
My opinion as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello again!

It is true that while taking blood thinners concomitant with HRT, the risk of blood clotting is low, but not zero.

So, you can do this.

But I would recommend starting HER at least three months later.

From the other hand, you should also consider the discuss of bleeding associated to blood thinners.

Hope you will find this answer helpful!

Wishing all the best,

Dr.Iliri
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D