Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
144 Doctors are Online

Why do I have the sensation of fluid in my ears?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

ENT Specialist
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 2348 Questions
I feel like I have water trapped in my ear (scratchy sounds) and my eye is running? Any thoughts on what this could be?
Posted Sat, 5 May 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 2 hours later

Thanks for the query

The sensation of fluid in the ears could be due to the following reasons:
1.     Eustachian tube (the tube which connects the nose and the ear) block
2.     Sinusitis
3.     Wax in the ear

As there are various reasons for giving rise to this condition, only after a thorough examination the exact cause could be found out.

Eustachian tube block could be because of previous history of flu which would have induced swelling around the opening of the Eustachian tube in the nasal end. This leads to blockage of the drainage of the middle ear secretions leading to trapping of the fluid inside the middle ear. There would be similar situation in the case of sinusitis also.

Regarding wax in the ear, accumulation of wax in the ear can mimic water trapped inside the ear. Without a proper examination is indeed difficult to pin point the exact cause.

Please consult a good ENT specialist for the further evaluation and management. Till you consult your ENT specialist, you can try with steam inhalation 2-3 times/day presuming your symptoms to be secondary to Eustachian tube block.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any more doubts you are welcome.

Dr. Naveen Kumar
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an ENT Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor