Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
151 Doctors are Online

Why are there orange lumps during ejaculation? Why do they itch?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 436 Questions
Not sure who to ask. It is quite an embarrassing and sensitive subject to. There has been several occasions, including when I've had sex with my partner, that I've noticed orange lumps about 1 mm in diameter in my ejaculation. Freaked me and her out quite substantially. It doesn't always happen, doesn't hurt just itches.
Posted Wed, 2 May 2012 in Men's Health
Answered by Dr. Radhika 58 minutes later
Thanks for the query.

I believe the more information a person gives the better is the doctor's reply, please do not mind in answering the following:
1. Do you have any burning sensation while passing urine?
2. Do you have any rashes in your genital area?
3. Were you tested for any STD (sexually transmitted diseases)?
The most probable cause would be due to the presence of blood in semen or due to any sexually transmitted infections. Normally we do observe cell debris, gel like particles or mucus streaks in semen.
I would suggest you consult your physician and get the following tests done:
a.     Urine routine and microscopy
b.     Tests for chlamydia, syphilis, HIV and Gonorrhoea.
Meanwhile, drink plenty of fluids and refrain from sexual intercourse till you’re tested. If you test positive, both you and your partner would need to be treated.
Hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer if you do not have any follow up.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Why are there orange lumps during ejaculation? Why do they itch? 53 minutes later

I don't get a burning sensation when passing urine, nor do I have any rashes. I've quite a few free chlamydia tests in the past through Besure, which were all negative. I haven't been tested for HIV or Gonorrhoea though.

If it is because of the presence of blood, is it most likely a short-term thing and likely to disappear? Or is that difficult to answer. When you also say that you do not observe cell debris, gel like particles or muscus streaks, is that because it's normal or that it requires a specific type of specialist?

Thank you for your response


Answered by Dr. Radhika 12 hours later

Thank you for writing back.

These lumps you are saying could just be the prostatic concretions - this is normal, but the color would usually be just white or translucent.

If it is orange in color, it needs to be examined under a microscope. There are no conditions where you might get an orange lump in the ejaculate.

My guess is it just the prostatic concretions, it is just the prostatic fluid which gets concentrated and a bit hard due to stasis inside the prostate gland, and once they get dislodged they come out in the semen and long standing concretions occasionally might have a slight tinge to them.

As you do not suffer from any other symptoms like abdominal pain, swelling or difficulty/burning sensation while passing urine, this is likely to be a benign, harmless and self healing condition. If you notice similar lumps in the future which is unlikely to happen again, you should consult a competent urologist. Physical examination, microscopic examination and semen analysis would be necessary.

Hope this information is helpful. Let me know if you have any more concerns. If you do not have any more queries, please close this discussion.

Wish you good health.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Internal Med Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor