Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

193 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Why am I having pain under rib cage and inflamed muscle in stomach?

Answered by
Dr. Srikanth Reddy


Practicing since :2007

Answered : 2770 Questions

Posted on Sat, 19 Jan 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I have a pain about on inch under my right rib. Not on the outside but almost in the middle of my body. About one inch over from middle. I don't have a gallbladder and its not my pancrease. It seems like a intense muscle spasm that is there worse when I bend or have bad posture and sitting makes it worse. It feels inflamed muscle and I can tighten my abdomen muscles and push on it and it hurts bad. Any ideas if a muscle can become inflamed there? If so what's the cause? Also had an endoscopy and stomach is fine, no ulcer.
Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 4 hours later

Thanks for using health care magic for posting your query.

Without a physical examination it is difficult to predict the cause of pain. However you have given a very nice and detailed explanation of your problem and the kind of pain you have described can occur due to the following reasons:
1) Musculo skeletal such as muscular ache and related to Spine bones - compression of a nerve root.
2) Renal or ureteric pain occurring because of an obstruction of the ureter, a tube connecting the kidney to the bladder. Normally it is a very severe pain.
3) Colitis, an inflammatory condition of the gut (colon) can also lead to such a problem.
Anterior abdominal wall muscle spasm might be the close possibility of there was an associated injury or fall. In the absence of injuries, we need to rule the other possibilities. Therefore it is advisable to get an ultrasonogram scan of the abdomen done. In addition X-ray or MRI of spine will help in ruling out back spine problems.

You can visit a surgeon for a careful abdominal examination. In the interim antiinflammatory analgescis like ibuprofen can be used for pain relief.

Hope I was able to address your concerns. I will happy to help you in case if you have any further queries.


Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,   ,   ,   ,  
Lab Tests ,   ,  

Recent questions on  Ibuprofen

doctor1 MD

I have a massive headache after getting my tattoo. I have gotten many tattoos in the past, but this the first time I ve had this problem. It s a sharp pain on the right side of my head. No dizziness but I m extremely nauseous. I ve taken 800mg of ibuprofen but have not received any pain relief after 2 hours. Is it ok to take a Vicodin?

doctor1 MD

I m using a Lidoderm patch for (light) shoulder pain. I had a rotator cuff tear surgery in Oct. 2013. At times I get pain in the shoulder (while exercising and/or playing tennis). Is Lidoderm the same as ibuprofen except it is in a patch form? Thanks for replying.

doctor1 MD

Hi, it has been a week now since I donated blood and there is terrible bruising along the side and right above where they placed the needle. There is also a stiff tightening pain as I move my arm that goes from my elbow up towards my shoulder. I ve taken aspirin and ibuprofen occasionally to try and ease the pain but nothing has helped. I even tried icing it on and off the first few days after, which was recommended by our American Red Cross donation center. Should I be concerned?

doctor1 MD

I take Ms continued 15mg every 12 hours for pain management.. My next doc appt is tomorrow I m down to my last pill and due to either humidity or it got wet, it broke into 3 peices.... Can I still take it or will the break cause an over dose I hurt extremely bad and my ibuprofen is not helping... I m scared to take it but hurt very much.. Please advise..

doctor1 MD

I am 14 weeks pregnant with twins. For the past 3 days am having severe shooting pain in my arms and shoulders. It started with left hand now moved to right hand. Even my right knee, ankle and thighs have started to pain. I have applied pain...

doctor1 MD

I'm 27 year old female from past few days I have got joint pains . especially while climbing up and down the stairs along with the cracking sound. went to orthopedician they suggested couple of tests related to auto immune arthiritis, results are...

doctor1 MD

My left testicle has been giving me slight pain and discomfort for around a week now. Especially when I lay on my side to go to sleep, it floats substantially in front of my right testicle. When I m standing it is more elevated than my right, and...