Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
133 Doctors are Online

White blood cell count came 62/HPF in blood work. Is this high or normal for small infection?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 1991
Answered : 1414 Questions
My blood work came back with a 62/HPF for my white blood cell count. Is this considered very high, or just normal for a small infection?
Posted Tue, 14 Aug 2012 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 3 hours later
Thanks for writing to XXXXXXX I understand your worry.
If the white cell count in the urine is 62 per hpf, it is most probably urinary infection.
It has to be further quantified with a urine culture and sensitivity test to know the type of bacteria and the medicines needed to eradicate it.
If the infection is repeated, u need to be evaluated to find out the reason for the recurrence.
Usually, urinary infection presents this way. There is nothing to worry as long as u get appropriate treatment.
Hope I answered your query. Kindly get back for doubts if any.
Get well soon
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: White blood cell count came 62/HPF in blood work. Is this high or normal for small infection? 2 hours later
Thank you Dr. XXXXXXX Just a quick question since the blood work was
actually done over a month ago and I am just now receiving the results . . . is it possible for a urinary infection to clear up on its own. I haven't really had any symptoms (that I am aware of) other than lower back pain and some frequent urination (which I contributed to sitting at my computer too long and menopause).
Just curious.

I do have an appointment set up with a new family practice physician next week for a new patient exam. So I assume that I should have her order the urine culture and sensitivity test . . . correct?

Thank you once again, XXXXXX
Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 2 hours later
Thanks for your reply.
Yes, u can get the doubt cleared with the test after u see the family practice physician.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Radiologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor