Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
162 Doctors are Online

Which specialist should I consult for lower back pain?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2010
Answered : 661 Questions
Hi, my husband has a lower back pain, that sometimes causes a shooting pain that travels all the way to the upper back and chest making it difficult to even get up or turn sides while sleeping. The sholders get stiff when he gets up in the morning and pains in the overall back and on the sides below the armpits. COuld you please help as to which doctor should we suggest or what kind of specialist should be able to help us in solving this issue. The orthopedicians consulted so far say that it is because the muscles are weak, and also taken up some Physiotherapy sessions but if no help. Also it is observed nowadays that a small cyst is felt on the back which can be felt by placing a hand on it. It pains around this area as well.. So not really sure what the problem is. Please help.
Posted Wed, 3 Apr 2013 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Ishfaq Habib 45 minutes later
Thanks for the query

The description you have provided is not related with orthopedics but it seems to more a neurological disorder most probably the due to herniated disc or straightening of the backbone. This is a common problem nowadays and have seen many patients with such problems

It is recommended to consult neurologist and you may require some workup to reach the diagnosis like MRI and CT scan.

Simple vitamin B complex is quite effective in such conditions and can be used to relieve pain. Also it is recommended to use some hard surface for lying and avoid spring mattress and soft bed foams for at least 2 weeks

If you still have some query, feel free to ask

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor