When does bowel movement normalize after stopping Oxycodone?
My husband was taking Oxycodone for his recovery from tibia plateau surgery. He's had bad constipation and dark, tarry stools. Based on info on the web, we decided to stop the Oxycodone completely. He's been off for 24 hours, and is now defecating, but it's still dark and tarry. He broke the log jam, but think the stool consistency is still affected by the Oxycodone. It's definitely getting better, so just want to know how long to expect. Yesterday, he took 2 Motrin, 1 asian pear, 2 Tbsp Milk of Magnesia, and 2 stool softener. Thanks!
Answer given below
Thanks for posting your query.
I am Dr.R.K and I am pleased to assist you.
If he is on only short term oxycodone, the recovery would be within 24 hours. good that he is having bowel movements.
Change is color may not be related to it. If it is black tarry, then it could indicate bleeding in the upper GI tract. Bleeding is possible due to stress gastritis in the post operative period or due to intake of painkillers like motrin you have taken.
So if the stool is black, tarry, sticky, offensive, then get medical attention to rule out upper GI bleed.
If it is not and if constipation is the only issue, then he can take miralax to ease his bowel movements.
I hope that answers your question.
Let me know if I can assist you further.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Oxycodone after tummy tuck
- Bowel seepage after bowel movement
- Headache morning after taking oxycodone
- No bowel movement after bowel operation is it normal
- When do bowel movements become normal after surgery
- Oxycodone after workout
- Bowel movements after bowel resection
- Bloated and blocked bowels even after bowel movement
- Headache after using oxycodone
- Heart racing after oxycodone
- Will nissen fundoplication help in minimising GERD and LPR symptoms?
- Had a marker for Hep c. Continue taking Lipitor?
- On klavox. Had severe stomach cramping and diarrhoea. What could it be?
- Having tailbone pain. What could be done?
- Having motion problem after taking IBSET tablet. What could be the reason?
- Taking mesalamine for mild ulcerative colitis and elevated ALT. What are...
- Is it safe to remove gall bladder surgically for gall stones?
- Are hemorrhoids linked to poor functioning of liver?
- Pain in lower left side of stomach . What could this be?
- What are the findings from the report?