Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
157 Doctors are Online

What to do if having irregular period after taking folic acid and Duphaston prescribed for conception?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 12733 Questions
hi madam, my husband is 30 and i am 25. we got married 1yr and 2 months before. during 1st few months of my mrg life v din make intercourse often due to pain. now v r almost regular. my periods are regular.I consulted a doc after my 1st anniversary. my doc suggested for ultrasound and Hb and it s normal. and she suggested a folic acid tab and duphaston tab. she asked me to have that tab for 3 months nd then meet her. after having tat tab for 1 month i started having my period every 18days. now its my second time i am getting like tat. Then i consulted another doctor. she prescribed Azithral 500, metrogyl 400, rantac 150 and fertisure F... I din start the medication yet. because i googled it and all those wer irrelated to my issue and most of them wer only antibiotics. we are under high pressure from our family side. please suggest me what i have to do next.
Posted Thu, 2 Jan 2014 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 25 minutes later
Brief Answer: Antibiotics are not needed now. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for trusting us with your health concern. I have gone through the history provided and I feel that the medicines that you have been prescribed are not needed since you are having regular cycles and you both do not have any problem in doing frequent intercourse naturally. The very first thing, you both have to involve in unprotected sex without any contraceptive method around ovulation day or fertile days for at least 6-12 months before proceed to basic investigations of primary infertility. Ovulation occurs 14 days prior to next period due date. In case of regular period with 28-30 days duration, your fertile days will be from 11th-18th days of each cycle. You can use ovulation prediction kit (LH kit) to predict ovulation time in mid cycle. Having regular intercourse at least daily from day 11 to day 18 of the cycle ( 8 days), chances of pregnancy naturally can be maximized. In preconception period, you both can take Vitamin-E and folic acid supplements for at least 3 months. Additionally, take healthy diet, control body weight by regular physical exercise, try to avoid mental stress/ emotional upset by regular meditation/ yoga, drink more water and eat fresh fruits, maintain genital hygiene and take sound sleep with complete relaxation. Next thing, if the above protocol fails, some basic investigations for infertility are advised as follows: 1) Husband semen analysis test. 2) Pelvic ultrasound scan - to check overall reproductive organs. 3) Serial follicular study in mid cycle to check proper ovulation. 4) Tubal patency test- by HSG (hystero salpingography) or laparoscopy. 5) Complete hormone assay with thyroid profile, blood sugar & prolactin test. 6) Test for cervical factor- Post Coital Test (PCT), Anti-sperm antibody (ASA) etc. It is seen that 40% of infertility issues occur due to men, another 40% due to women, about 10% results from complication of both & in rest 10%, no definite cause is found (unexplained infertility). To summarize, after 6-12 months of trying for natural conception, if you fail to conceive, you both need to consult with infertility specialist for proper guidance and management of the case. Please feel free to discuss further. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have. Wishing you good health. Regards. Dr. Rakhi Tayal. For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: What to do if having irregular period after taking folic acid and Duphaston prescribed for conception? 13 minutes later
so shall i stop all my medications??? shall i have folic tablet and duphaston??? do i have to eat fertisure F tab??? we have given our sample for semen test and other blood and urine tests. and i have already done ultrasound jus 3 months back. all my reproductive organs are normal. shall i do my other tests now itself??
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 22 minutes later
Brief Answer: You can continue folic acid and fertisure F. Detailed Answer: Hello. Thanks for writing again. Fertisure F is an antioxidant supplement that helps in general well being and ovum health. There is no side effect of taking it. You can take it and folic acid for general well being. Duphaston is needed to regularize the periods if you have irregular periods. If you have been having a regular sex for last 4-5 months specially during the fertile days as I have mentioned then you can consult an infertility specialist for further investigations. Hope my answer is helpful. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer. Wish you good health. Regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: What to do if having irregular period after taking folic acid and Duphaston prescribed for conception? 10 minutes later
Thanks for all the immediate reply madam. But i have one doubt. i XXXXXXX get wet all time. sometimes not getting wet causes pain. we do enough foreplay before intercourse.but still i XXXXXXX get wet sometimes. can i use any lubricant?? will it affect me getting pregnant? suggest me some safe lubricant. or what can i do for that pain???
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 17 hours later
Brief Answer: You can use a lubricant. Detailed Answer: Hello. You can use a lubricant to reduce the pain. It will not affect your chances of getting pregnant. You can use K-Y jelly or Astroglide. You can also use coconut oil for lubrication. More frequent sexual activity also decreases the vaginal dryness. Hope this is helpful. Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor