Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
188 Doctors are Online

What should I do to overcome body odor and also smelling breasts? What apart from pine tar can help?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 1996
Answered : 988 Questions
I have a problem with body odor even though I wash with pine tar and contact dermatitis. Recently I realized that the body power that I was using was causing my dematitis but now my breast smell like funky underarms. What is wrong and what should I be doing
Posted Wed, 25 Apr 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Bharat Chawda 11 hours later

Probably you have malodorous body odour which is called BROMHIDROSIS .This is because of the interaction of sweat (esp axillary) to the micro flora (micro organisms ) present in the axilla or other body parts.This interaction causes chemical changes which results in malodor . In some instances this is because of exogenous reasons also ,which means consumption of certain food items like onion or garlic etc.

The principle of management of bromhidrosis is:
1) Removal of sweat from skin surface & hair
2) Absorption of odorogenic substances
3) Reduction of bacterial flora
4) Masking the odour

This all can be done by frequent cleaning of skin with germicidal soap.Use of topicall antibacterial creams like clindamycin or mupirocin creams.Shaving of axillary hair would also help in this.And lastly regular use on deodorants.
One should also rule out fungal infection which are more common just below the breast .Obesity and diabetes can also be the reason and should be kept under check.
As far as your second problem is concerned i.e. contact dermatitis,needs a detail work up.You could be having allergic reaction to the powder or soap you are using or any pollens or may be its a fungal infection.Even a fungal infection can cause maceration and foul smell.

Kindly specify
1) The body area involved in contact dermatitis
2) Any predisposing factors which you are suspecting
3) Also the symptoms associated with it and how long you have been having this.

For contact dermatitis you can use any moderately potent steroid locally along with any anti allergic medicine. Steroids are generally not over the counter, hence you require a prescription from Doctor. But if its a fungal infection then you would require a anti fungal treatment.

‘Hope I have answered your query, I will be available to answer your follow up queries’.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dermatologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor