What is the treatment for skin rashes on leg and hands?

Dr. Kalpana Pathak

Dermatologist

Posted on Tue, 21 Jan 2014 in Skin Rash
Question: hi iam having skin rashes in leg and hands. its chronic problem
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 18 minutes later
Brief Answer: Details below Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for writing to us. I would like to know, how these lesions start? There could be two possibilities If initially you get dry itchy red patches over legs which eventually develop oozing and pus filled lesions or You get pus filled elevated bumps that later on develop red itchy dry rashes in surrounding areas. These two skin conditions are different, one is infected eczema and other is infective eczema. I would like to know about course and progression of these lesions and also about the medicines taken so far. Please answer these queries, so that we can discuss the treatment option in your case. Hoping to hear from you soon. Take care
Follow up: Dr. Kalpana Pathak 29 minutes later
I get pus or fluid filled bumps which later on develop red itchy dry rashes in surrounding areas only if scratch them. It has almost started 15 years back. until now , it was confined to few blisters. I used to apply betamethasone or clobestol steroidal ointment. I used a " derma dew " cream recently as moisturizing cream which contain aloe vera gel and dimethicone fliud which resulted in skin discoloration. I discontinued it. This winter the skin on legs and hands become more dry. The entire rashes problem is limited to few localized areas since 15 years. The itchy rashes gets larger if i scratch more.
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 25 hours later
Brief Answer: Details below Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for providing the details. Probably you are having Infective eczema. It is treated by taking an oral antibiotic, oral antiallergic along with application of steroid antibiotic cream. so you may take amoxyclav 625 mg thrice in a day or cefopodoxime clavulinic acid combination( aug pod/ gudcef cv) twice in a day for five to seven days along with oral cetirizine twice in a day and a topical steroid antibiotic cream like momoz f or execare f cream twice in a day. The area should heal completely in five to seven days. Once it heals, keep the area well moisturised by using dermadew cream. Also do not use any oil or do not massage the area vigorously as may lead to formation of recurrent boils which may eczematise later. For few days use an antibacterial soap like soapex or medsoap. Hope this helped. Take care
Follow up: Dr. Kalpana Pathak 29 hours later
Madam, Should I take oral antibiotics every now and then as I have rashes round the year though in lesser intensity?. Are steroidal ointments harmful in the long run? Plz prescribe home made remedies to prevent recurrence of rashes.
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 41 hours later
Brief Answer: Details below Detailed Answer: Hi, thanks for writing back. No you donot need to use antibiotics frequently. Right now as you are having boils, hence I have advised oral antibiotics. Moreover a proper treatment of furuncles will prevent further recurrence. For further mild episodes, you may use plain antibiotic cream like mupirocin or fusidic acid cream Steroids when applied under a doctor's guidance are safe and hardly cause any side effect as we prescribe steroid according to skin type in an appropriate strength. The basic idea of treatment in your case is to treat the underlying cause ie furuncles with oral and topical antibiotic and subsequent eczematisation with topical steroid. There is no home remedy to prevent recurrence. However, using a good antibacterial soap and avoiding vigorous massaging or oil application in affected area will prevent development of bumps and further eczematisation. Hope this helped. Take care
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad