Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
183 Doctors are Online

What is the treatment for chronic back pain in the dorso lumbar region?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Practicing since : 2002
Answered : 4458 Questions
i m having chronic back pain for 3 years. It is in the dorso lumbar region. Starting of the lumbar vertebrae. It started with bike rides. I used to feel painful after riding in bumpy roads. One day it became chronic. I have done 2 MRIs, no problem was detected. Bonescan detected some minor problem in the lumbar spine area. I respond well to paikillers like etoricoxib, but i am unable to take them continously due to ulcer. Swimming, yoga gives temporary relief. I want to know if there is a permanent cure for this. This is hindering with my performance in the workplace, due to the chronic pain i am not able to focus properly on work.
Posted Wed, 12 Mar 2014 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar Sharma 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Chronic back pain treatment need patience Detailed Answer: Mr XXXXXXX, I can understand the problem you are facing. I see too many patients in OPD with same problem. Back pain is multifactorial in origin. I mean it can be cause by the way you sit, walk, do your daily work. it also depends on is your body muscle mass and so on. Usually riding bike or any other such activity that causes jerk on spine can exaggerate symptoms as happened in your case. I would recommend you few easy tips. First try to sit in a proper posture at your office or when you are watching TV. Try to loose some kg weight as obesity put more strain on your back. I hope now you are not doing lot of bike riding. Back Muscle strengthening exercise specially extension group will help you.You can take advice from a physio. I would recommend you to take analgesics minimum and take muscle relaxant rather than only painkillers.Always use a proton pump inhibitor when you take these medicines.Avoid very soft bed or very high pillow. Warm shower will also helps.There are other methods like epidural steroid or ozone therapy if your pain is centered over any single point. Avoid any yoga without a trainer.I Hope these advises will help in curing your pain for always.Feel free to ask any other question.You need to have a little patience as back pain improves with time.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: What is the treatment for chronic back pain in the dorso lumbar region? 11 hours later
Hello doctor, Thanks for the advice. My pain is localized at a single point. Should I consider epidural injection? How far acupuncture will be effective in reducing the pain? Thanks, XXXX
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar Sharma 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Epidural steroid can help. Detailed Answer: XXXXXXX Epidural steroid can help in cases where back pain is not diffused but centered over a point. Some patients feel better with single injection while other may need two or more. You can get this from a pain specialist anesthetist or an orthopedic surgeon. I am not expert of acupuncture , but massage and physiotherapy maybe helpful in your case. As it improve blood circulation.So no harm in trying this. Please post your followup results also. Also any other query is welcome. Take care.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Neurologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor