Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
150 Doctors are Online

What is the solution to increase blood level when suffering from diabetes and high BP?

User rating for this question
Answered by

Internal Medicine Specialist
Practicing since : 1980
Answered : 1357 Questions
Hi, I am XXXX, 52 years old. I am suffering from diabetes. Last time when I got it checked it was around 216 for non fasting. I haven't started taking any medication for it. Should I start taking medicine or a strict diet is fine which I have been following uptil now. Also, I am having Low level of HB (around 10) , major acidity problem (having severe pain in the region betwween stomach and chest) and high Blood pressure ( on strict medicine for bp from last 15 years, ranges around 120-150). Please, suggest me solutions to it in addition to proper diet and how can I increase blood level. I would highly recommend your suggestions. Thank you
Posted Tue, 14 Jan 2014 in Diabetes
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Karanwal 47 minutes later
Brief Answer: You queries have been addressed to as below Detailed Answer: Hi XXXX, Thanks for your query. You have not mentioned as to when diabetes was diagnosed and, whether you are overweight. A non-fasting blood sugar value of 216, does not provide useful information. Firstly, get your Blood sugar tests : Fasting (empty stomach) and then EXACTLY 2 hours after breakfast. These values will guide your treating doctor to suggest further course of action. Chronic acidity is apparently due to either, # inflammation or ulcers in stomach/duodenum, along with possible bacterial infection (due to bacteria called H.pylori, the commonest cause of acidity); # Stones in the Gall-Bladder, or # Inflammation of the Pancreas. Get an ultrasound/CT scan of abdomen done to rule out/detect evidence of stones or problem of Pancreas. Further treatment of these conditions will depend on ultrasound/CT report. Irrespective of the ultrasound report, a 2 weeks' course of anti-H.pylori therapy along with a Pro-kinetic drug, such as, domperidone or metoclopramide; followed by a PPI, such as, Rabeprazole/Lansoprazole for 3-6 months; Probiotics, such as, Lactobacilli for 04 weeks; and, a monthly deworming course with single dose of Albendazole, will cure your acidity problem. Low Hb level is apparently due to either, # inadequate iron intake; or, # deranged absorption of iron as a result of acidity-induced intestinal problem. Daily supplements of oral iron, Folic acid 5mg and Vitamin B12 (1500 micrograms), will bring up your Hb level to normal range. For control of diabetes:- - take a low salt, low calorie, Low carbohydrate, Low fat and high protein diet. - Avoid refined sugars, confectionary, potatoes, fruits (particularly oranges), junk food, soft/cold drinks, mutton, eggs, butter etc.. - Daily/regular exercises, such as gym, aerobics or brisk walks. - Take a plateful of salad 15 minutes before meals; - Reduce your weight to ideal level. - Maintain your BP- with the help of drugs- to less than 120/80. Consult your doctor and apprise him of my opinion. I am certain that he will agree with my opinion. He is the best judge to control your diabetes effectively. Further, he will also prescribe the required investigations and the advised drugs in appropriate doses. Hope I have addressed to your concerns to your complete satisfaction and you find my response helpful and informative. I will be happy to answer further queries, if any. Fond regards and have a nice day, Col (Dr.) Rakesh Karanwal
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Diabetologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor