Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
198 Doctors are Online
Ask a Urologist   »  

What is the reson for blood in the urine with high WBC count?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Internal Medicine Specialist
Practicing since : 1998
Answered : 1579 Questions
I had my blood drawn yesterday and my Wbc is 19.8 and my br is 90.2 and gr# is 17.9 they tested me for mono myco strep did a UA and a chest xray they only thing that came back was a trace of blood in my urine. They gave me an antibiotic shot and a RX I feel a lot worse today. Should I be worried
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 4 hours later
Thanks for posting your query. The normal white blood cell count is from 4-11 and in your case it is 19.8.

This indicates a marked increase in the WBC count and is thus suggestive a bacterial infection.

As you've mentioned that there was a trace of blood in the urine, it is a possible indicator that you might have a stone in the urinary tract and the presence of a stone increases the likelihood of a urinary tract infection.

Hence, I'll suggest you to get an ultrasound or preferably a CT of the kidneys, ureter and bladder to look for a stone. The stone might be causing the abdominal pain also.

A urine culture should also be done to look for the underlying culprit bacteria causing the urinary infection. Please consult a urologist for the same.
Hope this answers your query.

If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Wishing you good health.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Urologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor