What is the recovery period after hiatal hernia surgery?

Dr. Grzegorz Stanko

General Surgeon

Posted on Thu, 9 Mar 2017 in General Health
Question: Hello doctor :)
I just want follow up advices; now I'm on week 4 after my nissen fundoplication and hiatal hernia surgery.
I feel fine and haven't had reflux. I still get full pretty fast, but that should be normal as I've heard.

I want to ask this questions:
I've changed from soft diet to more solid diet like pizza and potatos; and that works fine; but sometimes If I eat too fast or too much the food can get stuck in my oesophagus, which is extreme uncomfortable, but it only takes a few minutes; then the problem is solved with a little bit of water. I'm ok with this because I feel the stuck feeling is going in the right direction and that I can eat more and more. But I only want to be sure, that if the food get stuck, can it damage the surgery ? does it give that much pressure ? .. or is it totally safe after 4 weeks ?

what about singing ? should I wait couple of weeks before practice singing again ?
what about jogging/slow run ?
what about wine ?

best regards
XXXXXXX XXXX
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 30 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It is healed well by now.

Detailed Answer:
Hello.

Thank you for the query.

4 weeks after such surgery is more than enough for the stomach and esophagus to heal. Usually it takes couple of days to week as digestive tract cells do multiply very fast so the healing process is very quick.
So you can not cause any damage with regular foods. Same thing with singing. You can sing without any complications.
Jogging is also fine at this point and so is red wine. Generally you should start living as before the surgery.

Hope this helps.
Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 35 minutes later
Thank you very much for the answer.

I'm not a doctor; but something tells me; that eating bigger bites slowly increasing could be a good thing; because you are naturally stretching your new XXXXXXX instead of doing it with dilation later on ? is there any logical sense in this or ?
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 16 hours later
Brief Answer:
Yes it is true

Detailed Answer:
Yes that is true and for sure wont hurt your esophagus. And can indeed stretch an esopgagus a little.
Follow up: Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 48 hours later
Few more questions I totally forgot :)

what about lifting ? I have never done heavy lifting; but what about normal things ?

boxes 4-8 kg ?
I have a workshop closet in my workshop where I open the door and it falls down; and it needs about 4-7 kg force to hold the door while it goes down; ?

is this dangerous for my fixed hiatal hernia; or is this no problem ?

best regards XXXXXXX XXXX
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Heavy lifting should be avoided for 3 months.

Detailed Answer:
Well, I would wait with heavy lifting especially extremely heavy objects (like 20-30 kg). This special type of physical activity put a lot of pressure on diaphragm and esophagus and even in healthy person can cause some injury. You should wait up to 3 months from the surgery. After that time, you can do extreme activities like a regular person.
4-7 kg is not an extreme heavy object so you can hold it at this point. It wont cause any problem with your hernia.
Follow up: Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 1 hour later
great :)

thank you

the last question is:

When food get stock or got stock in my oesophagus; is it possible to feel a little ache after/sore; little back pain few hours after ? doesn't feel like reflux symptoms, just ache.
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 2 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes that is possible.

Detailed Answer:
Yes,that is possible. Especially that when food stuck can cause local irritation or even minir inflammation which can last few hours.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 9 minutes later
this doesn't cause any treat and will go away by itself ?
or is there anything you can do to eliminate irritation if this occurs? or body will maybe heal fast itself ?

what is the best way to washout stuck food in the oesophagus; if this happens again ?
warm drinks, cold water, room temperature or beverages drinks ?
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 11 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It should go away.

Detailed Answer:
It does not cause any serious injury. Food which stays much longer (24hours) can cause serious inflammation.
Esophagus regenerates very quickly so it can deal with it.
To prevent foods from stucking, you should drink more liquids during meals and chew foods more intense.
Next time something stuck, try soda (or even coke) to unlock it.