What is the painless fluid filled lump on shoulder?

Dr. Grzegorz Stanko

General Surgeon

Posted on Tue, 19 Aug 2014 in Lump
Question: A painless fluid filled lump has risen on my shoulder where I recently had rotator cuff surgery. It does not restrict motion. If gently pressed on, it appears to drain, but over time will reappear. No redness. No pain when pressed. Close to incision site that has healed. Over 5 days has remained about size of a quarter. What could it be?
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 15 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Detailed below.

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

Most likely this lump is a blood collection (hematoma). Sometimes such lump is also caused by stitches which were left in deeper tissues. Due to irritation it causes a kind of cyst filled with fluid.
The best way to find out what are you dealing with is soft tissues ultrasound. If fluid collection will be confirmed, should be drained.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Regards.
Follow up: Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 43 minutes later
Will waiting until the re-exam in 10 days be a concern? My physician is out of town.

Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 31 minutes later
Brief Answer:
.

Detailed Answer:
Nothing wrong should not happen with it until your next visit. You can wait with it 10 days. Just have it under observation and in case of pain, redness and fever visit any other doctor.

Regards.