• question-icon

What is the dosage of Oxycontin for chronic pain?

Posted on Fri, 3 Jun 2016 in Drug Abuse
Question: my husband who has been going to pain specialist for 9 years on very high doses of oxycontin dose was cut in half over 2 months this is the 3rd month he is agitated at times, confused talking out of his head the last 2 times he went to specialist they said he was over medicated dispite being cut in half on oxycontin dose.
Answered by Dr. Neeraj Kumar 27 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Take treatment as advised and get investigated too

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXXX bates,Welcome to HCM,

I have gone through your question and understand your concerns.

Please let me know What is the cause and location of pain?

In case of back pain and radiculopathy the drugs should be optimized according to need.
Physiotherapy is an important mode of management.

For pain modulation pregabalin(Lyrica), gabapentin or amitriptyline can be used in increasing dosage as needed.

Pain killers like oxycontin, aceclofenac, etoricoxib should be used in lower doses and for short duration.

Agitation and confusion needs to be evaluated and some routine blood tests like serum sodium, potassium, urea, creatinine, blood sugar and liver profile should be done.

Hope you found the answer helpful.
Do get back to me for further queries.

Dr N Kumar
Neurologist

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Neeraj Kumar 8 minutes later
husband has had a portion of pancreas removed 5 years ago due to abcess could these symptoms be precursor to pancreatitis or could this affect how the drugs are being metabolized?
Answered by Dr. Neeraj Kumar 10 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Not related to pancreas

Detailed Answer:
Hello, Welcome back,

Liver is the main organ for drug metabolism and pancreas is not a part of drug metabolism.
Secretion of insulin and glucagon is through pancreas and any damage may lead to blood sugar related problems.

Pain is an integral part of pancreatitis.

In absence of any abdominal complains possibility of pancreatitis is rare.
Get investigated as already advised and get back to me at the earliest..

Best Regards

Dr N Kumar
Neurologist
Dr. Neeraj Kumar

Neurologist