What is the difference between Pencom injection and Azithral?

Dr. Rishu Saxena

Cardiologist

Posted on Wed, 8 Mar 2017 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: what the difference between pencom 12 lac injection and azithral 500 tablate ??
doctor recommended this tablate inplace of injections. because we don't want to take injection.
1 tablate twice of the day for one week and after it 1 in one week.
this tablate is equal to pencom injection ??

pls advice.
Answered by Dr. Rishu Saxena 31 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Details below!

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Pencom Injection (Benzathine Penicillin) is a long acting antibiotic injection which contains penicillin and treats and prevents a wide range of bacterial infections mostly indicated in valvular heart diseases,while Azithromycin belongs to a group of medicines called azalides which are a sub-class of a group of antibiotics called macrolides.It acts by inhibiting the formation of bacterial proteins. In most organisms this action inhibits cell growth.Erythromycin and drugs of its class like azithromycin are usually given orally for seconadary prevention.
Bioavailability of parentral (i.v) antibiotic is much higer then orally given tablets.So please give your detailed history and attach your 2d echo report for further suggestion.
Thanks
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Rishu Saxena 1 hour later
can we take Azithral 500 tablate inplace of pencom 💉
Answered by Dr. Rishu Saxena 3 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes Azithral can be taken.

Detailed Answer:
Hi again,
Yes you can take azithral 500mg once daily,If you don[t want to go for injectible therapy any more.
Thanks
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Rishu Saxena 13 minutes later
Dr. have advise to take this tablate twice in a day for one week and after one week, 1 tablet in a week, pls advise
Answered by Dr. Rishu Saxena 11 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Follow up advice

Detailed Answer:
Hi
According to NCBI trials(U.S. government-funded national resource for molecular biology information centre-
The utility of 500 mg once weekly azithromycin (AZT), an orally effective long-acting antibiotic was evaluated against oral penicillin (phenoxy methyl penicillin 250 mg twice daily) in this study. Forty-eight consecutive patients (44% males, mean age 29.4 years) with established RHD were randomised into two groups-26 patients received AZT and 22 received oral penicillin. Patients were evaluated , at 1 month, 3 months, and 6 months, clinically, serologically and by throat swab culture. End points(results) were absence of streptococcal colonisation, infection or fever at the end of 6 months. During the study, 4 patients (15.4%) in the AZT group developed sore throat and fever, had positive throat culture and positive serology indicating streptococcal infection.None in the oral penicillin group developed streptococcal infection.

Conclusion-weekly 500 mg of AZT is not effective in the prevention of streptococcal throat infection compared to oral penicillin therapy in adult patients with established RHD.

However once in a week schedule is followed in XXXXXXX by some cardiologist,Yet i would suggest you to go either for Erythromycin 250mg twice daily or oral penicillin (phenoxy methyl penicillin 250 mg twice daily).
Please discuss options with your cardiologist.
Thanks.