What is the cause and treatment for urinary tract infection?

Posted on Sat, 10 May 2014 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: My son aged 20 years is feeling pain in urinary bladder. Urine culture & USG-KUB was suggested by the urologist. Investigations reveal that he has UTI infection from virus PSEUDOMONAS AERUGINOSA Colony Count 40000. However, there was no adverse findings in USG_KUB report. The doctor has suggested following medicine: 1. Tab. Cifran Od 1000 mg 14 days, Cap. Urispas TDS for 7 days and Cap. Rabicip D for 5 days. Please let me know the reasons for UTI and suggestive treatment. Whether further investigations are required. Thanks & Regards, XXXX
Answered by Dr. Anshul Varshney 37 minutes later
Brief Answer: Give treatment as advised by your doctor. Detailed Answer: Dear Friend. Hi , I am Dr Anshul Varshney , I have read your query in detail , I understand your concern. Urinary Tract Infection (UTI) in a young male should be properly evaluated. Most common causes in Young adults are: 1. Stones 2. Prostatitis 3. Diabetes 4. Traumatic Stricture. 5. Tuberculosis Getting a normal Ultrasound doesn't exclude stones! Also there are no pus cells in Urine routine and microscopy, but growth in culture. This can occur due to: 1. Antibiotics given prior to uribe sample. 2. Contaminated sample. According to culture report, the organism is sensitive to Cifran, so it can be given. In my clinical practise, with the first episode of UTI, i treat symptomatically. If the patient gets a second attack then i do all efforts to find any cause for presence of any Stone in urinary tract or any other alternate cause of UTI. Following are advised then: 1. Xray KUB 2. Intravenous Pyelography/ NCCT KUB. 3. Repeat Ultrasound KUB. 4. Urine for AFB / PCR So, at this moment i advise that follow the treatment suggested by your doctor, i agree with him. In case, he develops another attack, get him investigated. This is my personal opinion based on details available here. If you still have any query you may please ask me. Stay Healthy. Dr Anshul Varshney , MD
Follow up: Dr. Anshul Varshney 25 minutes later
Sir, Any thing serious or to worry about? Would you suggest KUB X-ray to detect stones etc.
Brief Answer: Detail Follows. Detailed Answer: Dear XXXX There is nothing serious. I don't recommend at this stage aggressive investigations as it is the first episode and there are hazards of radiation on Xray of KUB region. So, why to unnecessarily give him radiation exposure. In my clinical practise i recommend further investigations in following conditions: 1. Persistent UTI 2. Recurrent UTI. 3. Persisting pain abdomen. 4. High grade fever, when no cause is apparent. So, at this point of time, i advise you to get him the antibiotics and see the response. In case after 48-72 hours of antibiotic therapy there is no relief in fever or suprapubic pain, please write to us again. If you have any further query, please ask me, else close the discussion and rate it. Stay Healthy.
Follow up: Dr. Anshul Varshney 1 hour later
Sir, He has very mild pain lower abdomen and bladder with no fever at all. Thanks for clarifications.
Answered by Dr. Anshul Varshney 24 minutes later
Brief Answer: Good Luck. Detailed Answer: Dear XXXX Don't worry then. The medications are working. Carry on with them. And in case of any problem, please feel free to talk to us. If you have no further queries, please close the discussion and rate it. Stay Healthy.
Dr. Anshul Varshney