What is the cause and treatment for pharyngitis?
Thanks for your query.
First of all let me tell you cancers are not common at all in your age group. So please do not be bothered or scared of the cancer ( unless tht fear helps you to quit smoking).
To recapitulate: female of 27- smoker- smokes excessively two weeks ago- starts weird sensation on side of throat- hits the ear- neck muscle pain- worse at night- ? dry mouth- UC- no strep - ENT reference:::
The whole history is self-explanatory. According to me, there was an asymptomatic sore-throat or so on the day you smoked more. Due to excessive irritation there was enhanced response causing granular pharyngitis- which typically gives this sensation. The sensation in the ear on the same side is a referred sensation and will get covered with treatment of the original problem.
The neck muscle spasms and pains again are a reflex mechanism of the body or have underlying reactionary lymph nodes, causing inflamed muscles too.
It gets worse at night as you there is no diversions of the mind as are in the day's works.
I would advise you to visit a Doctor till you get to see an ENT ( next week is a bit far away- why should you be distressed and not treated? ).
A course of an antibiotic along with an anti-inflammatory medicines and if necessary a short course of steroid should solve your problem. You may be alright before you visit an ENT. An examination by scopy of ENT you would be more sure about the diagnosis and may add on few more medicines if He/ She feels so.
Just be NOT worried, you will be fine; No smoking- it increases the irritation .
First of all thanks for you detailed response, I truly appreciate it.
I rescheduled my appointment and actually saw an ENT specialist today.
He looked down my throat and he said there is a sore around my vocal chords which could be triggered (god knows what- as he didn't explain much) but he also said he saw that i have reflux?? And I told him that I don't have the symptoms and he told me that it could be a silent reflux situation. Anyways, he prescribed me with omeprazole for 2 months (twice a day 20 mg) and he said he wants to have a 6 weeks follow up.
Now, in my opinion this seems very irrelevant the symptoms I am having. He said that he doesn't see an infection. but my symptoms are not getting better. I started to think maybe i have something related to my tooth? I don't know...
So, my questions are:
Since I still experience pain and discomfort, should I keep taking Motrin with omeprazole or would those two be bad together?
Would omeprazole somehow help with the healing in the throat or not?
What else can I possibly do to get rid of the pain?
Well, one thing got sure that you do not have cancer, which you were afraid of.
The opinions of every Doctor will be a bit different and our aim is to get a cure.
Good that you were seen by an ENT Specialist.
Surely, please continue Motrin and Omeprazole; Motrin to be taken 8 hourly after food or with milk.
I would prescribe Omeprazole to every patient, particularly when on Medicines like Motrin. They will not be bad together.
Omeprazole will help in healing throat, you ENT has seen signs of reflux, please continue as advised ,. There is no contraindication as such.
Stop smoking and all irritants which may lead to delayed healing.
Take rest if possible, avoid sudden temperature changes.
Take warm liquids, water in particular sip by sip; this helps by self-cleaning action. Avoid lozenges- they have rebound phenomenon.
Please let me know if you want to know more
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Granular pharyngitis home treatments
- Granular pharyngitis treatment in homeopathy
- What is the treatment for pharyngitis
- Ayurvedic treatment for granular pharyngitis
- Pharyngitis causes
- Treatment moraxella pharyngitis
- What is the treatment for granular pharyngitis
- Best treatment for granular pharyngitis
- What treatment is suggested for pharyngitis
- What is cause and symptoms for granular pharyngitis
- Is testosterone injections safe to improve libido?
- Will scratching my finger with a nail post cause any infection?
- Will Tramadol help in having normal stools post colectomy?
- Why am I having severe eye pain and blurry vision after taking...
- What causes stomach pain and blood in stool?
- Can continuos cough be symptoms of whooping cough?
- Suggest treatment for Low testosterone level and High TSH level?
- Suggest treatment for bloating and difficulty in passing urine when...
- Ia it normal to have foot pain post bunion operation?
- What are the different treatment options for uncontrollable bowel...