Owl Image

What is the cause and treatemnt for hair loss?

Owl Image
Dr. Kalpana Pathak

Dermatologist

Question
Hi, I am having hair loss.. It has increased in last couple of months.. I have shifted my house and also was on the medication for cyst Krimson 35.. Now i have stopped the same.. Please suggest what needs to be done to reduce the hair fall.. i had got hair straightening done last year. want my hair look the way it did please help me. Thanks
Wed, 20 Aug 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 28 minutes later
Brief Answer:
details below

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX
In females hair fall could be due to
1)Androgenetic alopecia where the cause is genetic and hormonal. This type of hair fall is progressive and gradual and usually presents as widening of hair parting.
2)Telogen effluvium- The hair fall is of recent onset and diffuse. Iron deficiency, thyroid disorder, stress, lack of sleep, chronic illness, nutrtional deficiency, anemia, use of chemical on scalp ,procedures like perming or straightening etc. can precipitate this pattern of hair fall.

Treatment depends upon exact cause of hair fall. The same can be ascertained with proper clinical history, analyzing the pattern of hair fall and appropriate investigations.

In your case Polycystic ovarian disease and hair straightening could be the probable cause for hair fall.

However, I would like to know
Since how long are you having the hair fall
Pattern of hair fall( the area where you find hair density to be sparse)
any history of thyroid ds or anemia or any recent history of chronic illness like typhoid,malaria,jaundice or TB
If your diet is proper.
Number of hair that falls per day( approximate)
If the hair that falls has a white club shaped root attached to it.
If your scalp is too oily and dandruff prone.

Answer these queries, so that I can suggest an appropriate treatment
Hoping to hear from you soon.

Follow-up: What is the cause and treatemnt for hair loss? 47 hours later
having hair fall from last 4-6 months, 150 strands per day.. increases the day i have hair wash...i eat only at home n feel my diet is proper..no history of the above mentioned chronic illness..it has a small club like thing at the end...the density is sparse in the front..and my scalp is not oily/prone to dandruff

Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 29 hours later
Brief Answer:
details below

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX
Thanks for providing the details.
You could be having telogen effluvium.
In such cases I advise
Oral Hair supplement like keraglow XXXXXXX once in a day
Topical minoxidil 5 percent 1ml two times in a day( tugain/mintop)
You need to take medicines for your cyst. Please do not stop the same unless your doctor has asked you to do so.
its good that you take a proper diet. Increase amount of proteins like eggs, chicken,sprouts,soy,lentil in your diet. Take green vegetables, fresh fruits,nuts daily

This treatment needs to be continued for three to six months. In first two or three months, hair fall should stop. Treatment should be continued thereafter to induce hair growth.
Hope this helped.
Should there be a doubt please write back