What is prognosis of acute pancreatitis?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Apr 2013
Apr 2013

General Surgeon
Question
My son has been diagnosed with acute pancreatus, they told him at Mayo yesterday that it had a lot of of scarring, what is the prognosis, because of the scarring.
He also has a large blood clot on his liver, after a boating accident.
He has stopped drinking and smoking, he had a flare up ,because he ate some fatty foods. He had horrible acid reflux, is that related to pancreatus . Mayo prescribed Prilosec , as his mother I am glad he has stopped drinking but I am worried about his future. He is 38 years old.

I am concerned he will be diabetic or pancreatic cancer.
Posted Sun, 10 Aug 2014 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Hi and welcome to HCM

Detailed Answer:
Fortunately acute pancreatitis rarely causes some serious permanent consequances but prognosis mostly depends on his lifestyle habits. repeated acute pancreatitis will lead to chronic pancreatitis and it will cause diabetes sooner or later. So,first of all, he must forget alcohol, this is most importatnt risk factor for pancreatic and liver diseases, including cancers, although pancreatic cancers is related to some other risk factors. If he stops drinking then this pancreatic scarring wont progress and he may live without pancreatic insufficency for lifetime. gastritis has minor effect on pancreatitis development,but gallbladder stones can have so he should check for it and do cholecystectomy if neccessary. Wish you good health. Regards