• question-icon

What dose of Tenormin should be taken for rapid heart beat?

Posted on Tue, 16 Sep 2014 in Headache and Migraines
Question: i have a rapid heart beat and MVP (mild). i am very anxious and take xanax daily. i get tightness in my chest mostly at night. my cardiologist put me on metropropol (spelling?) about 4 months ago and tightness in chest went away, however had many side effects, extreme fatigue, headaches, blurred vision periodically, thinning hair, weight gain. saw him yesterday and he switched me to tenormin 25 mg at night. chest tightness is back, it is a holiday weekend and he is not available to speak with. he told me he was starting me off slow as i have a huge senstivity to many drugs. i said to him if one 25 mg pill does not work, (chest tightness), what should i do? he said take another one. Does that mean take 2 together or 2 like once in the am and once in the pm?
Answered by Dr. Sunil Gupta 40 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Can take two 25 mg tablets together.

Detailed Answer:

I went through your query and can understand your distress.

Tenormin is atenolol which is used in case of hypertension or angina. The usual dose range is 50 mg to 100 mg per day. You doctor would have started you on 25 mg tablet keeping in mind your age where we prefer to keep the dose at the lower dose. Since you are having symptoms even at 25 mg dose, i woould recommend that you increase the dose to 50 mg which can be taken at a time (two tablets of 25 mg can be taken together). Later on you can contact your doctor and decide on the further course of action.

I do hope that I was able to answer your query. Please feel free to ask any further query that you may have. In case you don't have any further question, please do close the discussion and rate the answer.

Best wishes,

Dr. Sunil Gupta
Follow up: Dr. Sunil Gupta 38 minutes later
i was on 50 mg of the first drug metroprole which was extended release. i believe tenormin is not extended release, so taking one in am and one in PM is not a good idea, better to take 2 at the same time? my heart rate was 100 w/o beta blockers now it is 65 where he wants it, that is why i take it

thanks
Answered by Dr. Sunil Gupta 12 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please see details below.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for following up.

Timing of taking medication is dependent on the half life of that medication. If the half life is short, frequent dosing is recommended and if it is more, the medication can be taken even once a day.

The extended release part of any able is to make that drug last longer which enables to take it once a day which was case with metoprolol. In case of atenolol, the duration of action is long enough even in plain tablets that it can be taken once a day. So, you are right in saying that it should be taken at the same time rather than in divided dose.

Both metoprolol and atenolol are good and effective agents to control your heart rate and I readily agree with your doctor regarding his choice of medications for you. I do hope that with atenolol, you have complete relief in your symptoms without any side effects.

Please let me know if I can be of any help ahead. It will be my privilege to do so.

Best wishes,

Dr. Sunil Gupta

Dr. Sunil Gupta

Psychiatrist