What Causes Intermittent Sharp Pain In The Left Side Of The Head?
Need more information and possible differential diagnosis
Hi XXXX XXXXXXX thanks for asking from HCM.
I can understand your concern. Left side focal headache can be due to various causes like
- Left side Migraine
- Left frontal/maxillary/ethmoidal/sphenoidal sinusitis
- Left ear infection
- Left eye glaucoma/refractive error
- Left side mass lesion like tumor/vascular malformation
- Left side cervical disc compression (cervical spondylosis)
To rule out various differential diagnosis, I need more information about your symptoms.
- What is the duration?
- Is there any eye pain, blurred vision, photophobia?
- Is there any history of vomiting, seasonal headache, pulsatile headache?
- What is the character of headache - sharp/dull/radiating/referring/exact site?
- Is there any tingling sensations in limbs, more pain on neck movement, focal weakness?
- Is there any nasal blockade, heaviness of head, more pain on forward bending?
- Is there any history of repeated allergy?
- Is there any history of eye check up, MRI/CT brain?
Hope you will understand my point. If you have any doubt, do let me know.
Thanks. Take care.
Thank you for your consideration XXXXXXX
Narrowing differential diagnosis
Hi XXXX XXXXXXX welcome back.
Thank you for providing me the answers. As you had this episode for the first time, localised on left side, running nose (same side), it could be
- Left eye disease like refractive error/glaucoma
- Left frontal/maxillary sinusitis
You should consult doctor for evaluation. He will examine your
- Visual acuity and intra-oscular pressure
- Check your nose and air sinuses. If there is doubt, he/she might advise you X ray of paranasal sinuses. It can confirm the diagnosis.
Please let me know the response. Till then, for relief, you can follow few tips
- Take tab Tylenol or Diclofenac+Paracetamol combination
- For running nose, you can take tablet Cetrizine after prescription
- Avoid cold food/drinks. You can eat/drink warm food/drink.
- Avoid bright light like laptop/mobile/direct sunlight.
- Do steam inhalation 3-4 times daily. It will relieve from nasal congestion.
Hope it will help you. If you have any doubt, do let me know.
Thanks. Take care.