What causes intermittent sharp pain in the left side of the head?

Dr. Ishu Bishnoi

Neurologist, Surgical

Posted on Fri, 11 May 2018 in Headache and Migraines
Question: I have a sharp pain on the left side of my head that keeps happening intermittingly through out the day?
Answered by Dr. Ishu Bishnoi 17 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Need more information and possible differential diagnosis

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXX XXXXXXX thanks for asking from HCM.

I can understand your concern. Left side focal headache can be due to various causes like

- Left side Migraine

- Left frontal/maxillary/ethmoidal/sphenoidal sinusitis

- Left ear infection

- Left eye glaucoma/refractive error

- Left side mass lesion like tumor/vascular malformation

- Left side cervical disc compression (cervical spondylosis)

To rule out various differential diagnosis, I need more information about your symptoms.

- What is the duration?
- Is there any eye pain, blurred vision, photophobia?
- Is there any history of vomiting, seasonal headache, pulsatile headache?
- What is the character of headache - sharp/dull/radiating/referring/exact site?
- Is there any tingling sensations in limbs, more pain on neck movement, focal weakness?
- Is there any nasal blockade, heaviness of head, more pain on forward bending?
- Is there any history of repeated allergy?
- Is there any history of eye check up, MRI/CT brain?

Hope you will understand my point. If you have any doubt, do let me know.
Thanks. Take care.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Ishu Bishnoi 53 minutes later
Thank you, in reply to your questions : The duration is just a few seconds it seems to come from my neck and I do have the pain in my eye there is no blurred vision, no vomiting, my left nostril has been running, I have no tingling and I have not had an eye check for five years.
Thank you for your consideration XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Ishu Bishnoi 11 hours later
Brief Answer:
Narrowing differential diagnosis

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXX XXXXXXX welcome back.

Thank you for providing me the answers. As you had this episode for the first time, localised on left side, running nose (same side), it could be

- Left eye disease like refractive error/glaucoma

or

- Left frontal/maxillary sinusitis

You should consult doctor for evaluation. He will examine your

- Visual acuity and intra-oscular pressure

- Check your nose and air sinuses. If there is doubt, he/she might advise you X ray of paranasal sinuses. It can confirm the diagnosis.

Please let me know the response. Till then, for relief, you can follow few tips

- Take tab Tylenol or Diclofenac+Paracetamol combination
- For running nose, you can take tablet Cetrizine after prescription
- Avoid cold food/drinks. You can eat/drink warm food/drink.
- Avoid bright light like laptop/mobile/direct sunlight.
- Do steam inhalation 3-4 times daily. It will relieve from nasal congestion.

Hope it will help you. If you have any doubt, do let me know.
Thanks. Take care.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj