Is Huperzine A advisable for dementia?

Neurologist, Surgical
Question
I would like to try Huperzine A for my husband who has early onset dementia. Have you ever suggested this supplement safely to anyone before?
Wed, 16 May 2018 in Brain and Spine

Answered by Dr. Erion Spaho 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
It can be used safely.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thanks for using HCM.

I have read your question and understand your concerns.

Huperzine A is a herbal drug that seems to be a promising drug in improving memory, protecting neurons from neurotoxic agents, treating Alzheimer's.

Patients that used this drug at our institution report only a few mild adverse effects, so, this drug may be used safely.

Hope you found the answer helpful.

Follow-up: Is Huperzine A advisable for dementia? 33 minutes later
What are the few mild adverse effects that you are referring to? How often and how much would you suggest to take for the dosage? Also, is there any other supplement that you believe is more effective with decreasing brain shrinkage and improving memory?

Answered by Dr. Erion Spaho 12 hours later
Brief Answer:
Adverse effects listed below.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome back.

Possible adverse effects of Huperzine A use include sweating, dizziness, blurred vision, muscles twitches.

Caprylidene is a supplement (food) that may be beneficial in protecting the brain in such cases.

Hope this helps.

In good health.