question-icon

What does yellow colored stool in child?

Posted on Mon, 1 Jun 2015
Question: my son is 4 months and 10 days old and he is having two problems which I want inputs from you:

1: today tears are coming from his left eye.
2: his lo is of light yellow colour. attaching image

Please advise what should we do?
Answered by Dr. Pradeep Kumar Jain (53 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
I would like to get the liver function test done

Detailed Answer:
Hello

Thanks for the query

The normal yellow brown color of stool is due to the bile pigments.In some condition where there is abnormal bile pigment production or if there is obstruction in the flow of bile the stool color gets changed to pale yellow or chalky white.
Very rarely a normal baby may can pass stool of this color.
But to be on safer side I would like to get him evaluated by a pediatrician and get a liver function test done.
I won't get overly worried for tearing from one eye only if there is no associated redness or swelling and it is not persisting.There may be transient blockage of tear duct by drying of secretion and get resolves on its own.
I shall be glad to answer if you have any further query.
Follow up: Dr. Pradeep Kumar Jain (48 hours later)
attaching the result from the liver function test. Please comment on this.
Answered by Dr. Pradeep Kumar Jain (29 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
The liver function test is normal

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for the follow up

I have seen the attached report and image of stool.
The report is normal for this age.
I won't get worried for the raised alkaline phosphatase if the other parameters are normal.
The GGT and SGOT/SGPT are more specific than the alkaline phosphatase(ALP). There can be other sources of ALP other than liver like bone,intestine and kidney.
I would suggest you to observe the color of stool whether it gets back to normal.If liver test is normal the color of stool would not bother me.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Pradeep Vitta
Dr. Pradeep Kumar Jain

Pediatrician, Cardiology