What does this blood report indicate?

Question
Hi Dr,
My lab values.....
ALKALINE PHOSPHATASE - 190.5 U/l
Bilirubin total - 0.58 mg/dl
Bilirubin direct - 0.18 mg/dl
Bilirubin indirect - 0.4 mg/dl
SGOT - 62.3 U/l
SGPT - 96.5 U/l
GGT - 531
Protein Total - 9.5 gm/dl
Albumin Serum - 4.53 gm/dl
Serum Globulin - 4.97 gm/dl

Can you please let me know the next steps?

Thu, 19 Apr 2018 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Further inputs needed

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone carefully through your query and understand your concerns. The first thing I would need to ask is for the reason that made you seek medical attention or to get the tests done. The next thing to ask is whether you are an alcoholic and whether you have any specific symptoms. The third thing to ask is whether you are a diabetic and whether you are on any medication.

The reports suggest that the liver enzymes are raised. It could be due to a number of causes. I would be able to comment further after hearing your inputs in relation to the questions I have asked. The subsequent steps would depend on the underlying cause.

I will wait for your response. Let me know if I could help further.

Follow-up: What does this blood report indicate? 15 hours later
The first thing I would need to ask is for the reason that made you seek medical attention or to get the tests done {Srini} --> I discontinued medications prescribed by my physician about an year ago and tried home meds but not avail! So, wanted to do a lab check and seek an advice. FYI, I was diagnosed with two blocks in Feb'16.

The next thing to ask is whether you are an alcoholic and whether you have any specific symptoms. {Srini} --> Yes, I take alcohol (2-3 pegs/day). However, I haven't experienced any discomfort or specific symptoms.

The third thing to ask is whether you are a diabetic and whether you are on any medication. {Srini} --> Yes, I was diagnosed with diabetes 2 years ago and was prescribed medications which I had discontinued about an year ago! FYI, my HbA1c was 11.4 in 2015; 10.8 in 2016; and 10.4 in the test taken last Tuesday (21st Nov'17)

Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Regular medication and cessation of alcohol intake needed

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for the updates.

Alcohol causes liver injury. The elevated liver enzymes indicate liver injury. It is only after much damage that you would get to observe clinical manifestations. You need to stop your alcohol intake in order to let the liver heal.

Diabetes is also a cause for liver damage. Your diabetes needs to be controlled and you need to take regular medication for the same. You have not done the right thing by stopping the medicines. You urgently need to visit a doctor who can evaluate you and titrate the dose of antidiabetic medication.