What does ultrasound report showing mild ascites post TB treatment indicate?

Dr. Sheetal Verma

Infectious Diseases Specialist

Posted on Tue, 27 Oct 2015 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Question: Hello Doctor,
My mother was off later diagnosed with tuberculosis of abdominal wall ( symptoms: omental caking and ascites ) She is an existing CKD grade 1 patient also from past 2 years. She underwent TB medication for 6 months and medication was stopped last month. She feels better now and weight has also increased a bit.Out of normal concern, we did some repeat tests including USG and CBC of Blood. USG says 'mild ascites noted' and CBC shows platelet count 1.16. I have concern about these 2 tests as other reports are in normal range including LFT.
My question is ,
Is observation of mild ascites normal even though TB is fully cured or is it that she needs further treatment? And could it be the TB medication that has affected her platelet count? She had normal platelet count when TB was detected and also she does not have any fever now.
Please advice. Thansk for your help in advance.
Answered by Dr. Sheetal Verma 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Treatment of further 3 months advised

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Thanks for your query at HCM.
I understand your concern and situation.

Your mother had been advised proper treatment for 6 months. But seeing the presence of mild ascitis I would suggest that the patient must receive three more months of treatment with Rifampicin and Isoniazid. Then after the treatment get follow up ultrasound abdomen after 3 months. Visit your doctor for further work up. It had been commonly seen that some patients of extrapulmonary tuberculosis require prolonged treatment. Some of the patient develop thrombocytopenia with rifampicin it will come back to normal levels after stopping treatment. Do not worry about it.

Hope I answered your query
Rating and review will be appreciated
Dr Sheetal Verma