Can active TB develop if Priftin and Isoniazid are discontinued?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Sep 2017
Sep 2017

Pulmonologist
Question
Have taken 4 weekly doses of 12 week regiment of Prifton and Isoniazid for latent TB. Has severe allergic reaction of fever, chills and rash on arms and legs, Considering stopping the drugs. However I wonder if the 4 doses was enough to "activate" the bacteria so that when I stop the drugs I would now have active TB. I would want to still be in the latent TB stage. I have been told I should still be latent but would like to confirm. I have no symptoms at present.

Tue, 22 May 2018 in Medicines and Side Effects

Answered by Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Yes, you will not have latent TB.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your question on Healthcare Magic.
I can understand your concern.
No, you won't develop active tb if you stop these drugs.
So no need to worry for active TB infection.
Hope I have solved your query. I will be happy to help you further. Wish you good health. Thanks.