What does this lab report indicate?

Dr. Michelle Gibson James

Posted on Mon, 6 Jun 2016 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: will you tell me what this report means

Mild concentric left ventricular hypertrophy
Mild pulmonary hypertension
Mild aortic dilatation at the level of the sinuses of valsalva measuring 4.3
Mildly dilated proximal ascending aorta measuring 4.1
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
increase in size of left lower chamber

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

The heart is made up of a right and left side.

Each side has two chambers, the upper chamber called the atrium and the lower chamber called the ventricles. So there is a right atrium and ventricle and a left atrium and ventricle.

Blood from the body goes into the right atrium then to the right ventricle then to the lungs to collect oxygen. It goes through the pulmonary vessels
When it has oxygen, it goes to the left atrium then left ventricle then out to the body through the aorta.

(A)Mild concentric left ventricular hypertrophy- a small/minimal amount of enlargement of the left ventricle caused by thickening of the muscles of the heart in this area.
Concentric means that the walls have thickened but the space inside/radius of the chamber is essentially the same.

(B) mild pulmonary hypertension- small increase in pressure in the pulmonary blood vessels

(C)mild aortic dilatation at the level of the sinuses of valsalva, mild dilated proximal ascending aorta- the aorta is the vessel leading from the left ventricle- taking the blood with oxygen to the body

There is mild enlargement of an aspect of the aorta

The ascending aorta would be part of initial part of the aorta. It has different parts.
The normal ascending would be approximately 2 to 3 cm.

There is a risk of rupture with increased size but this usually occurs if it is greater 6 cm.
Based on a medical study , intervention was suggested when it was 5.5 cm

Summary:(a) enlargement of left lower chamber
(b)mild increase in pressure in the vessels in the lung
(c)mild increase in size of the aorta

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
Follow up: Dr. Michelle Gibson James 5 minutes later
In you opion do I need to have surgery right away or any time soon? Can I excercise?
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 19 minutes later
Brief Answer:
exercise would depend on function of the heart- this gives structure info

Detailed Answer:
HI

No to surgery any time soon, your doctor would likely choose to monitor you but you can confirm this with him/her.

In terms of exercise, most echos would give details on the function/ how well the heart is working not just the structure changes.
In addition to information on how well the heart is working, a stress test would show what happens to the heart with activity.

This info would be needed to make an exercise recommendation. Your doctor may have more information and would be able to tell you if you can exercise and what exercises may be best

Please feel free to ask anything else
Follow up: Dr. Michelle Gibson James 7 minutes later
ejection factor is 6 -6.5, is this ok?

I have a fib now and it will not go away.Could any of these sytoms cause this a fib
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 22 minutes later
Brief Answer:
change in heart structure can cause irregular rhythms

Detailed Answer:
HI

The ejection fraction is normally reported as a percentage where the normal is 55 to 70 %.
It is possible that the results written mean 60 to 65% which would be normal.

The change in the structure of the heart can contribute to a fib

If anything else unclear, can let me know