What does this chest X-ray report indicate?

Dr. Jnikolla

Pulmonologist

Posted on Wed, 22 Mar 2017 in Lung and Chest disorders
Question: I have had shortness of breathe for years. I have 4mm nodule in lower right lung. It is believed I have a weakened diaphraghm from TM/MS damage. I am recovering from acute bronchitis and had a chest xray. no pneumonia. My arterial blood gases are low o2 . the xray report says bibasilar scarring vs atelectasis?? What is that?
Answered by Dr. Jnikolla 35 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Probably bibasilar post inflammatory fibrosis

Detailed Answer:
Hi and welcome in HCM.

I had gone through your concern.
I will try to explain and hope to be helpful for you .
The nodules in your right lung are not related to the chest X Ray findings.
Bibasilar scarrings vs atelectasis means that your lungs in the lowest position have signs of probably post inflammatory fibrosis.In other words may be you have done several times bronchitis during your lifespan and they have left signs or scars in your lungs. Or if you have been a heavy smoker it might be a reason for the scar.Meanwhile atelectasis means that the lowest part of the lungs bilateral is pushing up for example this can be seen in obese patients.
For clarifying these findings if you were my patient i will recommend you to do a high resolution computed tomography of the lungs with contrast if it is possible and to be sure and to exclude any other lung diseases. Please consult your doctor. He will advice you further if you will need any other treatment or not
Don't worry and keep calm.
Feel free to ask me again
I wish you a good health.

Dr. Jolanda
Pulmonologist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Jnikolla 1 hour later
Even on 2%oxygen my o2 sat is 89. off it drops fast. I am more short of breathe than when I saw my PC today and feel I am breathing shallow and dizzy plus a headache. It will be tomorrow before my PC calls me with xray results. I saw them in my online chart. She referred me today to a Pulmonologist March 23 even before the xray. I don't mean to panic but I am having trouble breathing. Should I wait until she calls tomorrow or go to ER??
Answered by Dr. Jnikolla 15 minutes later
Brief Answer:
If the O2 saturation continues <90% even with the rising oxygen go to ER i

Detailed Answer:
Hi again.
Your saturation usually has been over 90% ?I mean if 89% is only today try to rise oxygen in 3 % and if you feel better and if the o2 sat gets > 90 % wait till tomorrow,but if it does not change even with the rising of the oxygen inspired go to ER as soon as possible.
I am here for any question again

Dr.Jolanda
Pulmonologist