question-icon

What does this blood test showing low Pneumococci bacteria indicate?

Posted on Mon, 18 May 2015
Question: I just got a blood test back showing low pneumococcal im (14 serotype) (9 out of 14 were low, 5 normal). My Igg subclass test was all normal. What does this mean? Do I have an Autoimmune Deficiency or have I just not been exposed to the 9, low titers... Thank you!
Answered by Dr. Noble Zachariah (2 hours later)
Brief Answer:
Not been exposed to those antigens recently.

Detailed Answer:

I understand your concern.
Your low titers of IgM antibodies against the 9 serotypes of Pneumococci only mean that you have not had a recent exposure to these pathogens or vaccine containing them. You do not have immune deficiency as your IgG and the antibodies against the viruses are normal. You require to take vaccine against these serotypes so that you will be protected against them.
Do get back to me if you have more queries.
Best wishes and regards,
Dr. Noble Zachariah