What does this MRI report regarding hearing problem indicate?

ENT Specialist
Question
I went to get an MRI to look for a possible tumor by the nerve to the ear. There is no tumor, but the scan results list a "thickening of the mucousal membrane". My doctor's office called me with the results and said my doctor wants to put me on Nasonex 2 times a day for six weeks and then I should come back in. This sounds like needless treatment to me. What could my doctor be trying to do?

Details: I went to the doctor due to hearing problems and ringing in the ears. They removed a large amount of wax from both ears. Then they tested my hearing. It was normal-ish, with the left ear worse than the right. Six months later I went for a follow up hearing test, and although both ears had improved there was an increase in the gap between left and right ears. (Left ear still worse, and right on the borderline of the "normal" line on the graph.) I also mentioned an odd episode I had where I suddenly lost hearing in the left ear for a few hours. The doctor was worried about a tumor, so we did an MRI. There's not a tumor. I don't understand what my doctor is trying to accomplish by further treatment.
Posted Mon, 18 Aug 2014 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans

Answered by Dr. Krunal Karade 54 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Nasonex is a Mometasone steroid nasal spray.

Detailed Answer:
I have read your query.
As per your MRI report you are having thickening of the mucosal membrane of sinuses common in allergy & decrease ventilation in sinuses.

Nasonex is a Mometasone steroid nasal spray will decrease mucosal membrane thickening , reduce allergy & improve ventilation of sinuses . Nasonex is a nasal spray use as 2 puff each nostril twice daily for six weeks.
Use normal water gargle 20 mins after nasal spray use to clean any spray comes down to throat .
Left ear hearing loss might because of eustachian tube blockage which will improve after nasonex spray use .

Hope this information helpful to you .If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.

Thanks.