What does the following colposcopy report indicate?
Question: do these results mean that the colposcopy did not detect HPV and that no HPV is present?
You will need to repeat pap test in a year.
Thanks for asking at HCM
I carefully read your question and understand your concern.
Pap smear detecting ASCUS is a common finding and many times these are not necessarily related to cancer or precancer cells. Inflammation in the area might cause changes that confuse us while reading the pap smear.
If the colposcopy did not find any cancer or precancerous lesions than this is very reassuring. It can not rule out HPV presence as it does not directly check it but normal findings in colposcopy means no cancer or precancer changes present.
If you are concerned of HPV presence than there is a specific test done for HPV and you might require your doctor to do it. In case of ASCUS there is generally not always needed to have HPV testing.
1. In your case if pap smear shows ASCUS and colposcopy is normal this is something common and you are recommended to just repeat pap smear in a year.
2. Checking for presence of HPV in the cervical samples taken by GYNAE visit is preferred but not always necessarily needed.
3. If you are HPV positive but had a normal colposcopy than there is no extra treatment but probably you will need to repeat the pap smear a little earlier. So if you were HPV positive you would have a repeat pap smear in 6 months while if HPV is not present you will need to repeat pap smear in a year.
4. If you are HPV positive than as a routine check we recommend patients to have tests for other sexually transmitted infections like: hep B, HIV, chlamydia and gonorrhea (if not done recently.
So as a conclusion: if you can have HPV test done this would be good. Have a GYNAE visit and ask to be taken sample for HPV test- colposcopy not always checks for HPV. You will need to repeat pap smear in 6-12 months according to recommendations. If HPV positive do some other screening for other sexually transmited disease mentioned above.
Hope this is helpful and answers to your question. If anymore concerns related to this question please let me know. Otherwise I kindly ask to please close and rate the answer.
Dr Antoneta Zotaj
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What causes an episode of chills, dizziness and focusing issues?
- What causes mildly raised INR level despite taking Warfarin?
- What does the following colposcopy report indicate?
- What do the following ultrasound reports indicate?
- What causes a red rash on the arm?
- What causes diarrhea, severe cramps and bloating?
- Suggest treatment for small bumps between the legs and near the buttocks
- What causes redness in the eyes?
- Suggest treatment for severe joint pain in the knees, elbows and ankles
- Suggest treatment for severe headaches and mouth ulcers while having...