What does the following CT scan report indicate?

Posted on Sat, 6 Jun 2015 in General Health
Question: Doc!

Fell off my skateboard the other day and whacked the back of my head. Wasn't doing anything other than rolling down the street. Went to the ER, offered a CT scan but declined as the Doctor said I seemed to be improving and was quiet lucid. It's been 36 hours. A little soreness on my neck and head, but other than that, I feel pretty good. About 80-85% of normal mental acuity. BUT... Can't smell a thing. Actually, I can just barely make out things sometimes (cologne, bath salts. So thats at about 5% of normal. Thoughts? Advice? Will I ever be able to smell again and is there anything I can do to encourage proper healing? Should also mention that my sinuses have been flushing the system a bit since the event. Clear mucus in the throat.
Answered by Dr. Krunal Karade 47 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You are most probably having Hyposmia with/without CSF leak .

Detailed Answer:

I have read your query , reviewed your medications and understand your concern.

As per your clinical history it appears that you are most probably having Hyposmia (Decreased ability to detect odors) due to head injury .

Head trauma can result in injuries to the nose, the smell nerves or the brain where the signal is received.

Sinuses flushing with clear mucus in throat may be because of Cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) leak . CSF leak should be rule out .

If you bend forward & clear fluid comes out of nose then there is high possibility of traumatic CSF leak .

If I were your treating Doctor for this case , I would advice you
consult ENT specialist as soon as possible .

Till then I would advice ,
multivitamin multimineral antioxidant syrup 2 spoon thrice daily like vitasure / zincovit syrup to encourage proper healing .

The smell system can sometimes repair itself and restore some of the smell sense but when this happens is variable depending on the site and severity of the injury .

Hope this information helpful to you .If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.

Regards.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Dr. Krunal Karade

ENT Specialist