What does "schmorl nodes,minimal degenerative retrolisthesis at L5/S1" mean?
Spinal surgey indicated
Hi, Thanks for your question. The symptoms you are experiencing sound very significant. It sounds to me as if you are nearing exhausting non-operative methods of managing them.
Based on your symptoms, MRI report and your age I would have thought that you would be a good candidate for surgery to your back to decompress your nerve roots and possibly fuse your L5/S1 level. An orthopaedic surgeon or neurosurgeon with an interest in spinal surgery should be able to give you further advice and hopefully offer you a more definitive solution to your problems.
Treatment options suggested
Thanks for your follow up question.
I would recommend that you see an orthopaedic or spinal surgeon.
I would not have thought that further local anaesthetic and steroid injection would be of benefit.
Essentially the surgery that could be done would be to decompress the nerves at the L5-S1 level that are being compressed by the disc prolapse. Consideration should also be given to fusing this level of your spine. This would be done by removing the disc between the L5 and S1 vertebrae so the bones join together. Some metal rods and screws would be put into your spine to hold the vertebrae together until they fuse.
I hope this answers your question.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What cancer is associated with retrolisthesis
- Retrolisthesis arthritis
- Is retrolisthesis inherited
- Retrolisthesis diagnosis
- Retrolisthesis and pregnancy
- Retrolisthesis treatment
- Caesarean retrolisthesis
- L5 s1 retrolisthesis with nerve root impingement
- Retrolisthesis and constipation
- What precautions can i take for a retrolisthesis of 35mm
- Suggest treatment for muscle tear
- What does a heart rate of 150 beats per minute during pregnancy indicate?
- Suggest treatment to repair Achilles' tendon
- Suggest treatment for pain due to familial hypermobility syndrome
- What causes knee pain in a toddler?
- Is muscle and joint pain with weakness symptoms of fibromyalgia?
- What causes pain in ribs under the breast area?
- What causes stiffness on upper back and shoulder blades?
- Sugggest treatment for muscle spasms in back and neck
- Suggest treatment for shoulder and back pain