What does raised CA levels indicate?

Dr. Indu Kumar

Radiologist

Posted on Tue, 5 Aug 2014 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Question: Hi. I have an ovarian cyst & have had several blood tests recently.CA 19.9 & CA125 are both 'High'. I have now been scheduled to have an abdominal ultras'd & CT scan. What do these levels really mean.
I
Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 36 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It indicates malignant cause.

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXX
Thanks for writing to HCM

I have gone through your findings in detail.

CA 19-9 & CA-125 are tumour markers.
CA-125 is raised primarily in ovarian cancer.However,it may also rise in many other conditions like breast,lung,oesophageal,gastric,hepatic and pancreatic cancers,pelvic inflammation,cirrhosis,endometriosis etc.
CA 19-9 may be raised in dermoid cysts or ovarian torsion.

As you have history of ovarian cyst and simultaneously increased CA 19-9 & CA-125 ,it indicate more towards ovarian malignancy.

Ovarian malignancy should be confirmed by other investigations like Contrast CT scan of abdomen and ultrasound of abdomen.
There are many features in CT scan and ultrasound which indicate towards benign or malignant origin.So,please go for CT scan and ultrasound of abdomen.

Get well soon.
Hope I have answered your question.
Further queries are most welcome.

Take Care
Dr.Indu XXXXXXX