What does persistent fever in a baby indicate despite administering Nurofen and Calpol?

Dr. Diptanshu Das

Pediatrician

Posted on Tue, 26 Sep 2017 in Child Health
Question: Hi my baby took a vaccination today of 4 months but hes 5 months hes vaccines were delayed by a month. However hes fever is not going down, i been giving him nurofen and calpol every 5-6 hours. And i cant gv anymore. Would you recommend a surpostry? Hes breathing has become fast hes very sleepy and fever flactuating 37- 38.5 what shoud i do?
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
You can use suppositories

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone carefully through your query and understand your concerns. If your child has fever with temperature more than 38.5°C, you need to give paracetamol (Calpol) to it bring down. Also use tepid sponging. If paracetamol is not effective in bringing down the temperature, you can use Ibuprofen (Neurofen) and if that does not suffice you could use Meftal-P (mefenamic acid) which is more effective. You may also use suppositories for the same.

Let me know if I could help further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana