How can severe abdominal pain be treated?

Dr. T Chandrakant

General Surgeon

Posted on Wed, 25 Apr 2018 in Abdominal Pain
Question: My wife has severe abdominal pain since last night.
She had taken one tablet of Meftal Spas last night which was effective in controlling the pain.
Today the doctor has prescribed Drotin DS which is not effective.
Can she now take Meftal Spas instead? It is 4 hours since she took Drotin DS.

Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 59 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please give additional information - wait few hours before giving Meftal sp

Detailed Answer:
Hi.
Thanks for your query, albeit short and specific.
Noted the history and understood your concerns.
Meftal spas contains Mefenamic Acid as anti-inflammatory and Dicyclomin as an antispasmodic.
Drotin DS contains an antispasmodic called Drotoverin which your wife has already taken 4 hours back; it works for 6-8 hours, hence it is better to wait for a few more hours before you give her Meftal spas.
Please give additional information:
Type of pain?
Which area of abdomen has she got pain?
Any associated bowel symptoms like nausea, vomiting, bloating, loose stools or constipation?
Any Urinary symptoms?
Any referred pain to other sites like back, shoulder, groin and inner thighs?
Any other symptoms?
Your details and the reports may help me to assist you better.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad