Owl Image

What does pain and soreness in the right leg indicate?

Owl Image
Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha

Question
I have a problem with my right foot.I can walk on it, but after about a hour of being on it and I sit down its sore. The outside of it burns and across the inside arch if it's bent has sharp stabbing pain. When I go to stand on it at any time throughout the day it takes a minute for my foot to stop hurting. After I am standing on it I'm ok but the pain is there just not as bad as when I'm off my foot. Please help this is starting to affect my daily life. I can't do daily cleaning or shopping even driving hurts.
Wed, 20 Dec 2017 in Brain and Spine

Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Methylcobalamine supplementation can help

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone carefully through your query and understand your concerns. Your symptoms seem consistent with peripheral neuropathy. I would need to ask you if you are a diabetic. Deficiency of Vitamin B12 could also give rise to such a presentation. Taking methylcobalamine (Vitamin B12) 1500 mcg supplement per day for at least a couple of weeks should help in improving the situation.

Let me know if I could help further.

Follow-up: What does pain and soreness in the right leg indicate? 20 hours later
in XXXXXXX of last yr I stopped taking B12 1000 mcg. then by September or October I started having foot pain. Nothing like I have now it definitely has increased. I have never been tested for diebetes, but it runs in our family. I do have a high sugar intake and I've gained 25lbs in the past yr. I really appreciate the help. I finally feel like I am getting somewhere with this.

Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Get blood sugar tested

Detailed Answer:
Please arrange to get your fasting blood sugar as well as HbA1c tested at the earliest. Also make sure that you take methylcobalamine supplements regularly.