What does my lab test report indicate?
3 months ago I woke up with chills, neck pain, lymph nodes ,dizziness, palpatations ect. Was misdiagnosed for 10 weeks. What do my thyroid results mean. They were dropping then when I had my periods they were high again. My uptake scan and antibodies was normal.
Im now waking up with headrushs
Is it viral
TSH 1.56 (.40 - 4.2)
FT4 26.6 (11-22)
FT 3 4.6
TSH 2.47 (.4 - 4.2)
FT4 23.6 (11 - 22)
Your thyroid results look normal. It is extremely unlikely that your thyroid is not functioning normally.
It is possible you had a thyroid problem 3 months ago but as you pointed out, your uptake scan and antibodies were normal. So unless the TSH and Free T4 were abnormal at that time, it is hard to say for sure what may have happened.
Regardless, your thyroid seems to be working fine now based on the laboratory results you have shared here.
When I see someone like you in my practice, I typically order the following blood tests in addition to a detailed physical examination:
CBC (Complete Blood Count, also known as Hemogram; includes Hemoglobin, WBC and Platelet counts)
Electrolytes (Sodium and Potassium in particular)
HbA1c (Glycosylated Hemoglobin = your 3 month glucose average)
Liver function tests (SGOT , SGPT, Albumin, Bilirubin, Alkaline Phosphatase)
Kidney function tests (BUN, Creatinine)
25 hydroxy Vitamin D
Yes there is a good plausible explanation for this.
Free T4, also often abbreviated as FT4, is not a perfect test. So sometimes it can give a misleading report. For instance, two of your FT4 results are above normal while couple others are within normal limits. This likely represents a shortcoming of the method used to test FT4 in the blood.
To get around this, I typically order
T3 resin uptake
These are all blood tests which can be done at any time of the day and do not require fasting.
Please note the T3 resin uptake is a completely different test versus the Thyroid Uptake and Scan.
If these three are normal we are virtually certain that FT4 has been fallacious.
Overall FT4 is a good test and is commonly used worldwide. However as you can see it can have limitations in select circumstances.
Lastly, as I mentioned in my first response, there are rare conditions like Thyroid Hormone Resistance (THR) where blood tests can resemble yours and symptoms such as the ones you are experiencing can occur.
The results of these three tests I have just recommended may help to shed light on this possibility.
Seeing an endocrinologist in-person will be important to interpret these tests if THR is suspected.
I dont see an Endo for another 4 weeks.
Is there anything I could be doing as in diet or supplements to try and lower my T4?
Second follow up
Although possible it is unlikely to be viral thyroiditis.
Most likely it is a laboratory test abnormality.
Since it is not a real problem as such, nothing needs to be done about it in terms of diet change
Next time you may wish to check TSH along with
T3 resin uptake
and if these are normal, it is extremely likely your thyroid is functioning normally.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Done tmt test what does the reports indicate
- Blood test done what does the report indicate
- Ovulation test done what does the report indicate
- Ecg test lab report
- What does this lab test report mean
- What does #39pus vulgaris#39 indicate in a lab report
- Liver test done what does a lab test report suggest
- What does my lab test report suggest
- What does the test report indicate
- Lab tests done what are the findings in the report
- Thyroid problem,unable to conceive,hormone deficiency
- How are headaches and vitiligo treated ?
- Feel cold, lightheadedness, memory problems, foggy thinking,...
- Hypothyroidism due to Hashimoto's thyroiditis, taking Thyronorm. Do you...
- Underweight, taken dexamethasone. How can I gain weight?
- What can be done for a high blood sugar? Have frequent urination.
- Had hormone imbalance. Used androgel when testosterone went down. Will...
- Have a postprandial hypoglycemic reaction to foods with carbs. Gaining...
- Diagnosed with Hypothyroidism. Is Armour thyroid or Erfa thyroid better...
- Cold feeling after eating sugar. Headache, fever, BP high, have...