What are the side effects of long term use of Thyroxine tablet?
My mother has thyroid. She is 56 yrs old. wieght is 64. height 5.2 feets.
Doctor has prescribed her thyroxine tablet (75mg) every day.
I would like to know if there are any side effects of this medicine if taken for long term.
if yes, what is cure for throid. how we can get rid of this disease.
No serious side effects when the dose is right..
Unlike other condition thyroxine tablets would cause significant side effects when dose is above required dose. Her treating doctor will however make appropriate dose changes as and when required based on TSH value as well as her response to it. So don't worry about side effects. If she notice symptoms such as anxiety, restlessness, palpitation, sweating, tremors or unwanted weight loss we need to test thyroid profile and change dose.
As far as curing thyroid is concerned, only a small subset individual have had their thyroid condition reversed. Most people who were cured were pregnant ladies (gestational hypothyroidism) and viral thyroiditis. If she is not one of these, then most likely she needs to be on thyroxine for fairly long period of time.
Hope this answered your question.
question on overdose: she has TSH - 3. She is taking medicine of 75mg per day. can you recommend what amount of medicine she should take per day to have no side effects if she takes this pill daily for long duration.
TSH value of 3 is idea.
How long is she on this dose. TSH of 3 is ideal value. If she is on 75mcg for a fairly long period, then I think she should continue with it.
In general the dose required depends on her body weight and TSH value. For someone with TSH above 6, we start with a dose which is equivalent to 1.6 times body weight. For example an individual with 50kg, 75 mcg would be appropriate.
If your mom has no problem currently, I would suggest her continue the same dose until she has symptoms similar to above mentioned side effects or TSH falls below 0.1.
Hope I am clear. Let me know if you need clarification.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Long term side effects of flexon tablets
- Thyroxine side effects thyroxine tablets
- Side effects of thyroxine tablets
- What is long term side effects using ciplactin
- What are side effects of thyroxine
- What are the side effects of thyroxine sodium tablets
- What are the long term side effects using ciplactin tablets
- Parad tablet long term side effects
- What is use lesuride tablet side effect
- What are the uses and side effects of krimson35 tablet
- Random body aches. Is this the symptoms of flu?
- What is the difference between functional dyspepsia and appendicitis?
- Having spondylisthesis, DDD, facet artropathy, bulging discs. Taking...
- Addicted to tobacco. Tried nicotex chewing gum. Unable to open mouth and...
- Is amitriptyline safe medicine for polymyalgia? What are the affect of...
- Recommended amino acids and proteins after workout. How much protein...
- Diabetic. Have hepatic encephalopathy. Treated with lactulose. Should I...
- Looking best medicine for urinary tract infection
- Had shoulder injury. Hurts to lift arm and having burning sensation on...
- Bruise appeared on thigh after scratching. Hurts to touch. Why is this...