What does my blood sugar level indicate?

Dr. Mirjeta Guni

Endocrinologist

Posted on Wed, 15 Mar 2017 in Diabetes
Question: My blood glucose level is 113, is this problematic?
Should I do something with my diet, can I drink wine?
Answered by Dr. Mirjeta Guni 35 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Check the blood glucose again:

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thank you for asking!
To make the diagnosis of Diabetes, 2 different blood glucose check are needed and a HbA1c ( the avarage blood glucose of the last three months) level.

- If fasting blood glucose is 100-125 mg/ dl in two measures, 140-200 mg dl postprandial and HbA1c 5.7-6.4%, prediabetes is confirmed.
-If fasting blood glucose results over 125 mg/dl, postprandial over 200 mg/ dl and HbA1c over 6.5%, Diabetes is confirmed.
So, you should check the fasting and postprandial levels again and a HbA1c level is needed to confirm prediabetes.
About the treatment, it depends on your weight, morbidities you have ect, but diet and physical activity are usually the first line of treatment.
Your treating physician can allow you to drink 1 glass of red wine if no liver problem if confirmed.

Hope the information will help.
Kind regards,
Dr.Mirjeta
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D